Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Glapwell Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Blidworth Welfare
Wed 16 Sep 19:45 - Cup Full time

Glapwell bow out of League Cup

Glapwell’s participation in this season’s League Challenge Cup is over after they fell to a disappointing 2-1 defeat at Blidworth Welfare.

Over the course of the game, Glapwell had more of the ball without ever really creating the clear-cut chances, but the result might have been really different had they not missed a sixth minute penalty while they finished the game with ten men following Joshua Aitken’s sending off on 72 minutes.
Glapwell started the game well and were awarded a penalty after only six minutes when Daniel Russell was hacked down in the area. Sam Bartram stepped up but he dragged his spot-kick past the post.
That was always going to be a big moment in the tie coming so early on and it gave the home side a visible lift and they had a chance on 18 minutes when the ball was played back inside from the right to Max Curzon who beat a man but dragged his shot wide of the far post.
On 20 minutes, though, Blidworth went in front when a free-kick from halfway was pumped into the middle and headed into the path of Max Curzon who, in turn, headed the ball back across goal to Charlie Taylor whose header was weak but it went straight through John Styring and crept into the net.
It was a really soft goal to give away but some of Glapwell’s play had been promising enough to show that they were far from out of it and they had a chance to equalise when Josh Parfitt took a man on down the right and cut the ball back to Daniel Russell who saw his shot blocked by a defender.
But that was it for chances in the first half and there weren’t that many at the beginning of the second period although some of Glapwell’s play was far more positive and they put together a couple of great moves without ever really creating that clear-cut opportunity that they needed to.
They did go close just before the hour, though, when Parfitt again got free down the right and cut the ball back inside to Daniel Russell who took on two defenders before laying the ball off to Jake Ballinger, who had only been on the pitch for a minute, and his effort on the turn from 15 yards was just wide of the far post.
Keenan Leeds’ shot then took a big deflection but, fortunately, it was straight into the hands of Glapwell keeper John Styring.
The game then took a further swing into the favour of the home team when Glapwell were reduced to ten men on 72 minutes. Joshua Aitken saw red for his part in an altercation with Blidworth’s Tim Gregory who only saw yellow for his part in the incident which was ‘seen’ by the assistant referee.
The tie was practically decided with seven minutes to go when the home side doubled their lead as the ball was played into the path of Keenan Leeds whose shot took a slight deflection and flew into the far corner.
Glapwell responded immediately, though, when Daniel Russell played in Jake Ballinger who fired in a shot from 12 yards that the home keeper Gary Doncaster couldn’t quite keep out as it crept in.
There was still chance for Glapwell to force extra-time with two minutes remaining when Adam Kimberley’s corner from the right was met by Daniel Russell’s powerful header which was palmed away by Doncaster in the home goal as Blidworth held on for a place in the next round.
Overall, Glapwell will be disappointed to exit the competition in the fashion that they did but they return to league action on Saturday when they travel to Dinnington Town, kick-off 3pm.
Goals: Taylor (Blidworth) 20; Leeds (Blidworth) 83; Ballinger (Glapwell) 84
Blidworth: Gary Doncaster, Josh Cairns, Jacob Lowe, Charlie Taylor, Jordan Harris, Ben Rogers (James Vickers 83), Tim Gregory (Jack Wood 83), Oliver Ashton, Max Curzon (Gareth Curtis 59), Keenan Leeds, Brendan Williams
Glapwell: John Styring, Ryan Duffy-McGirr, Joshua Aitken, Lee Naughton, Ross Murcott, Sam Ward (Jake Ballinger 58), Tom Norris, Jordan Jones (Adam Barratt 83), Josh Parfitt, Daniel Russell, Sam Bartram (Adam Kimberley 80). Sub not used: Sean Gardner
Referee: Jack Carter (Ilkeston)

Up your game with easyfundraising

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments