Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Glapwell Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Thorne Colliery FC
Glapwell FC
Sat 23 Jan 14:00 - Central Midlands Football League - Black Dragon Division North Full time

Rare shut-out as Glapwell held at Thorne

Glapwell’s recent winning run came to an end although they did earn a point after a frustrating goalless draw at Thorne Colliery.

In their first game for SEVEN weeks, the longest lay-off of any side in the league, Glapwell did look a little rusty in the opening stages and despite a late flurry in which they were more or less camped in the Thorne half for the final 15 minutes they were unable to find a way through as they failed to score in a game for the first time this season.
But at the other end, a fourth successive clean sheet was picked up, the first time that has happened since 2007, and it is also five clean sheets out of the last six with only a single consolation goal by Dronfield in November being scored against Glapwell since the middle of October.
There was just one change to the Glapwell side from the last game, a 2-0 victory over Appleby Frodingham way back on December 5th, with Mitchell Mullins starting in place of Daniel Russell while Jordan Jones returned to the squad for the first time since the end of September.
Glapwell didn’t start the game particularly well as they struggled to find the rhythm which they had been consistently showing before the long lay-off due to the weather, and the hosts had the first chance on three minutes but Kyle Palmer flashed a free-kick past the post.
But, this Glapwell side are always going to create chances and they were close to breaking the deadlock on six minutes when Tom Norris won the ball back and played in Josh Parfitt who held off a defender and rounded the keeper but he could only fire into the side netting from a tight angle.
Parfitt was involved in the next Glapwell chance as he crossed the ball from the left to the edge of the area where Josh Thomas did well to bring the ball under control before his attempted chip over the keeper flew harmlessly over the bar.
Glapwell were struggling with that final ball in the final third, though, although they again went close just before the half hour when Ryan Duffy-McGirr’s delivery from the right was parried by Mike Teale in the home goal with Josh Parfitt slicing the rebound well wide of the post.
They were then dealt an early injury blow as captain Tom Norris was forced off after only 28 minutes with an ankle injury to be replaced by Adam Barratt.
Adam Kimberley’s free kick from 25 yards was then parried around the post by Teale and but for a couple of very half chances for the home side, but one that Kyle Palmer should have done better with, the sides went into the break on level terms.
It wasn’t the best of first periods and Glapwell knew they needed an improvement after the break, and in fairness, they have scored a lot of their goals in the second half of games this season.
But there was a massive chance for the home side just after the break when Jermaine Green made a strong run forward and played in Glyn Powell who benefited from a defensive mistake but he fired the ball well over the bar with only Ryan Hopkins to beat from 10 yards.
Glapwell had definitely got off lightly with that one but they had the next chance, albeit not quite as clear-cut, as Josh Parfitt headed wide from Ryan Cancellara’s searching delivery from the left.
Both sides made a host of substitutions around the hour mark to freshen things up as they both looked for the vital first goal in the game but during this period there weren’t any real chances for either side to get that.
In the final 20 minutes, though, Glapwell finally did up the tempo and Adam Kimberley went close to giving them the lead when he cut inside from the right and curled an effort just past the far post while at the other end Kyle Palmer fired over from close range.
As the minutes ticked away, Glapwell found themselves practically camped in the Thorne half but they struggled for that killer ball in the final third although on 85 minutes they thought they had finally broken through but Adam Kimberley’s effort was blocked by his own team-mate who couldn’t get out of the way as it was destined for the bottom corner.
Jack Hutchinson’s cross from the left at the second time of asking was met by substitute Jordan Jones whose header went over via the top of the crossbar.
It looked increasingly like the game was going to finish all square but Glapwell had massive claims for a penalty turned down in the final minute when Ross Murcott appeared to be shoved in the back when going up for an header in the area.
But, they were nearly victims of pushing for a winner as they were very nearly caught out at the other end, a defensive error gave Kyle Palmer a clear run through one-on-one with Ryan Hopkins but he fluffed his lines and fired well over the bar.
That was still not the end of the drama, though, with the very final action of the game seeing the ball come in from the right with Josh Thomas, Daniel Russell and Ryan Cancellara all seeing shots blocked by a combination of home keeper Mike Teale and the defence as Thorne held on for a point.
This was probably Glapwell’s worst performance in the league this season although they were still unlucky not to claim all three points, but then again lucky to not come away with nothing, but after seven weeks without a game a point is not the end of the world.
Glapwell remain top of the league, extending their unbeaten league run to 11 matches, but their lead has been cut to two points of Phoenix, who have played a game more, and Harworth.
Meanwhile, the frustration against Thorne continues with Glapwell still yet to register a victory in the meetings between the sides stretching back over the last five seasons, or nine meetings in total.
Not particularly known for goalless draws, this is the first 0-0 that Glapwell have been involved in since 9th April 2013, 95 games ago!
They will be looking to return to winning ways immediately when they return to Hall Corner next Saturday for the visit of Newark Town, kick-off 2pm.
Thorne Colliery: Michael Teale, Jermaine Green (Kevin Lynch 59), Phil Doran, Mark Sneap, Dean Cuttle, Trevor Hindson, Kyle Downing (Lee Winterman 59), Jack Steadman, Glyn Powell (Liam Redmile 77), Kyle Palmer, Nathan Johnson. Subs not used: Jamie Stroud, Josh Copeland
Glapwell: Ryan Hopkins, Ryan Duffy-McGirr, Jack Hutchinson, Ryan Cancellara, Ross Murcott, Jonathan Heston, Tom Norris (Adam Barratt 28), Adam Kimberley, Josh Parfitt (Daniel Russell 62), Josh Thomas, Mitchell Mullins (Jordan Jones 70). Subs not used: Josh Clayton, Rowan Mayor
Glapwell Man of the Match: Ross Murcott
Yellow Cards: Downing (Thorne) 36; Powell (Thorne) 49; Sneap (Thorne) 73; Murcott (Glapwell) 89
Referee: Mark Scarisbrick (Lincoln)

Up your game with easyfundraising

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Black Dragon Division North results

Welbeck Welfare FC
Appleby Frodingham FC
Dronfield Town Reserves FC


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Glapwell FC 28 70
2. Ollerton Town FC 28 64
3. Phoenix FC 28 60
4. Appleby Frodingham FC 28 58
5. Harworth Colliery FC 28 55
6. Askern FC 28 50
7. Retford FC 28 45