Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Glapwell Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Belper Town
Sat 23 Apr 15:00 - Evo-Stik League - First Division South Full time Attendance 70

Home campaign ends in defeat as Glapwell are Nail-ed

Glapwell’s final home game of the season ended in disappointment as they put in a toothless display to be beaten 3-0 by Derbyshire rivals Belper Town at Hall Corner.

Although Glapwell started this game well enough in the end they were well beaten by a Belper side that have now completed a league double over Glapwell and in the process won their first ever league game at Hall Corner.

Glapwell made one change from the midweek defeat at Newcastle Town with Adam Kimberley starting in place of the unavailable Spencer Commons. And to add extra spice to the game there were three former Belper players in their squad as Michael Harcourt and Steve Kennedy started and Matt Telling returned to the squad as he took his place on the bench. Belper started with Ali Barcherini in goal and Jon Froggatt up front, both of whom have had brief spells at Glapwell in the past.

And it was Glapwell that should have taken the lead after just two minutes when Ian Holmes crossed for Ian Brown who looked odds-on to score but he miss-hit his shot back across goal from little more than six yards out.

But the game started pretty much even with both teams lacking quality in the final third and it had the feel of a typical end of season game with both teams playing for only pride.

It was more than 20 minutes before the next chance in the game and it fell to the visitors. A good move resulted in Darryl Thomas firing well over the bar from 10 yards out in what was a poor effort.

A good team move by Glapwell could have seen them take the lead just afterwards. Ian Brown played a good ball down the right to Michael Harcourt who did brilliantly to keep the ball in and get a cross in that was cleared only as far as Adam Walker who fired well over the bar as he searched for a rare goal.

Harcourt was then involved again shortly afterwards as his powerful free-kick from 30 yards out brought a fine save out of Ali Barcherini who did brilliantly to hold on to the ball.

However, the visitors thought they had taken the lead just three minutes later. A Lee Thompson free-kick was met by an unmarked Matt Plant who headed firmly into the corner but as he was wheeling away in celebration the referee’s attention was brought to his assistant’s raised flag who disallowed the goal due to a Belper player being stood in an offside position right in front of James Lindley.

Belper, though, were now beginning to create a few chances and from another Thompson free-kick Charlie Weir rose highest but could only head straight at Lindley.

But the Nailers really should have taken the lead on 37 minutes. Glapwell felt aggrieved not to be given a free-kick in Belper’s half for handball but the visitors broke with purpose. Jon Froggatt played in Weir down the left who dinked a cross in to Aaron Pride who looked to have the simplest of goals but he missed his header completely as the ball tricked the other side of the post.

But just three minutes later it was Glapwell that were inches away from taking the lead. A good individual piece of play by Alan O’Hare resulted in Evan Garnett getting a cross into the middle that looked to have been snapped up by the keeper but Liam Davis took matters into his own hands and he would have been mightily relieved to see his header fly only a matter of inches past his own post.

Glapwell then had a chance to take the lead right on the stroke of half-time as Ian Holmes and Ian Brown combined well and the ball came to Harcourt on the right side of the box but he could only hit his shot straight into the body of Barcherini.

And just seconds later the deadlock was broken as the visitors struck. A long ball up field by Lee Thompson should have been dealt with by the Glapwell defence but Ruben Wiggins-Thomas pounced after a lack of communication between Steve Kennedy and James Lindley to tuck the ball into the net from 12 yards.

It was a big blow for Glapwell with the goal coming right on half-time and it was another cheap goal which they seem to have been conceding in recent games.

But Glapwell had a chance to level in the first minute of the second half as Matt Varley’s long throw was flicked on by Ian Brown into the path of Ian Holmes who could only head straight at the keeper from six yards.

And less than a minute later the visitors struck again to double their advantage. Jon Froggatt played the ball into the on-rushing Charlie Weir who finished smartly across Lindley from the edge of the area.

It was another disappointing goal for Glapwell to concede but they nearly got themselves back in the game four minutes later as Varley’s throw was met by Alan O’Hare who couldn’t get over the ball as he headed over the bar.

Just a minute later the visitors killed the game off as they went three goals up. Glapwell again guilty of giving possession away and Charlie Weir played the ball to Wiggins-Thomas who burst into the box but laid off to Jon Froggatt who crossed for Darryl Thomas to side-foot the ball past Lindley from eight yards.

In just seven minutes Glapwell had self-destructed and there was a fear that Belper would now run riot as Glapwell looked like a team that were already on their summer holidays.

And Belper came at Glapwell again when Thompson’s quick free-kick was taken to Thomas but his shot was wild and actually went out for a throw-in.

Glapwell might have given themselves a slim chance of getting back into the game on 65 minutes when Adam Kimberley, who could have shot, played in Damian Magee who shot well over the bar from the edge of the area.

And just a minute later Magee had another chance as Harcourt’s brilliant cross was met by the Glapwell left-back at the back post but he couldn’t connect properly as he headed wide.

On 73 minutes Belper could have added another goal as Lee Thompson’s free-kick was met by Matt Plant who headed just over the bar from 12 yards. But again, Glapwell’s defending left a lot to be desired as Plant got up highest again.

Belper were now comfortable in possession and they again created a chance when Wiggins-Thomas squared the ball back to Darryl Thomas who was always leaning back as he fired well over the bar.

With five minutes remaining Belper thought they had scored again but James Lindley pulled off a fine diving save to keep out Jamie Smith’s well-struck shot from 25 yards but Smith was given far too much space as he had an age to take aim.

But the final chance of the game fell to Glapwell as Magee’s cross from the left found Aaron Shelley at the back post who will, likely, be disappointed to only have headed straight at Barcherini, who was really not tested nearly as often as he probably should have been.

However, nobody could say that Belper didn’t deserve this victory although Glapwell’s performance was below-par as they slipped to their eighth home league defeat this season.

They remain in ninth place although they could finish a place higher should they win and Carlton lose at bottom-placed Spalding United on Monday.

Glapwell will, though, be looking to finish the season on a high as they look for a league double over local rivals Rainworth MW when they travel to Kirklington Road for the final game of the season on Easter Monday, kick-off 3pm.

Match report written by Paul Hepworth

Goals : Wiggins-Thomas (Belper) 44; Weir (Belper) 47; Thomas (Belper) 54

Glapwell : Lindley, Harcourt, Magee, Varley, Kennedy, O’Hare, Kimberley, Walker (Telling 59), Holmes, Brown (Page 57), Garnett (Shelley 70). Subs not used : Timons, Richmond
Glapwell Man of the Match : Alan O’Hare

Belper : Barcherini, Pride, Davis, Thompson, Plant, Adams, Wiggins-Thomas, Smith, Froggatt (Fedorenko 77), Thomas (Simmons 87), Weir (Rushbury 83). Subs not used : Darker, Thorpe

Referee : Alix Pashley (Chesterfield)

Yellow Cards : Plant (Belper) 29; Holmes (Glapwell) 46; Kimberley (Glapwell) 72

Attendance : 96

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division South results

Grantham Town
Loughborough Dynamo
Newcastle Town
Market Drayton Town
Sheffield FC
Sutton Coldfield Town
Spalding United


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
7. Kidsgrove Athletic 42 75
8. Carlton Town 42 73
9. Glapwell 42 69
10. Romulus 42 67
11. Sheffield FC 42 55
12. Lincoln United 42 54
13. Goole AFC 42 54