Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Glenrothes Rugby Club app


Mixed bag for Senior Teams

2 months ago By Ryan Townsley

Double action for senior squad

Glenrothes rugby teams experienced mixed emotions on Saturday. While the 2nd XV notched their third bonus point win of the season, the 1sts were going down to league leaders Strathmore.
At Forfar, Strathy took an early lead but an interception by Callum Kennedy disrupted an attack by the home team. This was followed by a sprint up the wing to score and Kain Duguid’s conversion tied the scores.
Glenrothes then took the lead when Duguid latched on to an overthrow from a Strathmore lineout and made it over the goal line. The same player converted his try.
Strathmore levelled the scores before half time and went on to score a further 25 points after the interval. The Glens only points of the half came from Gavin Emerson picking up from a scrum 5m from the goal line and powering his way over. Shaun Gray converted.
The home team demonstrated why they are sitting at the top of the league and deserved their 39-21 victory though the margin of it did not reflect the Glens contribution to an entertaining contest. Despite the result, there were some positives for Emerson and his coaching staff to build on, not least the return after suspension of man of the match Russell Grieve.
Meanwhile at Carleton Park, the 2nds entertained Bo’ness and playing uphill into a strong breeze quickly gained the upper hand. Kyle McIntosh rounded off a period of prolonged pressure with the opening penalty. Kris Glen showed his strength by barrelling over the line following a tap penalty to the right of the posts and McIntosh added a second try inserting himself into the line as the backs moved the ball from the left hand side of the pitch to a wide right position. McIntosh converted his own try.
Bo’ness rallied slightly before the break with a penalty, after the Glens were adjudged to have collapsed a scrum, and an unconverted try from a tap penalty close to the goal line.
Despite a harsh yellow card for Stuart Harley the second half belonged to the Reds. Strong running from centres Euan Arthur and Jamie Pullar resulted in them both scoring tries. Scott McAlpine, making a welcome return to rugby, scored the fifth try, barging over from a short penalty before Gavin Turnbull scored under the posts after a smart break by Craig Kinnear.
Bo’ness took advantage of lack of concentration on the part of the home side scoring the third try of the afternoon to come from a quickly taken tap penalty. On the stroke of full time Glenrothes brought up the half century with Gavin Heddle scoring their seventh try and McIntosh converting as he had with all of the second half tries. Ross Wiggins, who stepped in at stand off after Ross Anderson’s call up to the firsts, was adjudged man of the match in the Glens 50-13 victory.
Next weekend there are two home games for the Glens with Alloa playing the 1sts and Perthshire 2nd XV providing the opposition for the 2nds. Both games are due to kick off at 3pm.

Updated 18:02 - 23 Nov 2018 by Sheila Beare

Where next?

Dates for Your Diary Three Dates for the diary
Last Tango for Harris Glenrothes first xv vs Harris


Loading comments

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

Sat 15 Dec
First XV Dunfermline RFC
League 14:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors