Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Grantham Town FC


First Team - Match centre

Sutton Coldfield Town
Grantham Town
Tue 15 Sep 19:45 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - Premier Division Full time Attendance 105

Grantham Go Down at Sutton Coldfield

Grantham Still Seek First Win After Losing 2-0 at Sutton Coldfield

Grantham are still seeking their first win of the season after going down 2-0 at Sutton Coldfield.

Playing on Suttons artificial 3G surface Grantham dealt with Sutton’s long ball tactic well in the early stages. Ben Saunders forced an error from Sutton keeper Wren who dropped the ball under the challenge from the Grantham forward but it went wide of the goal for a goal kick. Grantham had a scare on 7 minutes when Sutton’s Kyle Bryant picked up a poor clearance from Jake Turner but Brad McGowan cleared as he ran at goal. Sutton continued with their long ball game but Luke Rogers was twice offside when through on goal. Sutton’s Sam Bell threatened on 14 minutes but Michael Emmott’s outstretched leg put the ball out for a corner which was cleared by the Grantham defence. There was an ugly incident on 18 minutes when Sutton’s Joel Kettle followed through on Jake Turner who had the ball in his hands. Referee Mr Smedley immediately produced a yellow card for the Sutton defender and turner needed lengthy treatment before he could continue. Grantham were struggling to make any impact on the Sutton defence and it was Sutton who threatened at the other end. Luke Rogers put a free kick over from the edge of the box on 21 minutes and Rhys Lewis headed out a dangerous cross from Malcolm Melvin a minute later. Grantham won their first corner on 25 minutes but Sutton keeper Wren caught the ball when it came in. Lee Shaw went down in the box on 27 minutes but the referee waived away the Grantham forwards penalty claim. Rogers fired in a 35 yard free kick for Sutton on 31 minutes and when the ball was cleared the same player put his shot just wide. Sutton had another chance on 36 minutes but Karl Bryant put his header over when well placed. Sutton Keeper Wren again dropped the ball under a challenge from Ben Saunders on 38 minutes but this time the challenge resulted in a Sutton free kick. Sutton’s Danny Callaghan had a free header on 38 minutes but put the ball over the top. Jake Turner was called into action twice, first saving at full stretch from Malcolm Melvin on 40 minutes and 2 minutes later he was able to block Sam Bells shot when the Sutton striker had a clear sight of goal. The half ended with Liam Read bringing a save from Wren at his near post before play went back to the other end with Sutton’s Aaron Forde shooting wide.
The second half began with Grantham on the attack and the Sutton defence blocked several Grantham shots before finally clearing the ball. Beeson headed clear a dangerous Bryant cross on 50 minutes and Brad McGowan repeated this a minute later clearing a cross in from Sam Bell. Sutton were now pressing and Grantham were defending in numbers. Andrea Gonzales fired wide of Turner’s far post on 54 minutes. Lee Shaw’s persistence saw him win a corner on 56 minutes and from the kick Beeson arriving at the far post volleyed narrowly over. Sutton took the lead on 57 minutes when the dangerous Luke Rogers fired home from 30 yards and the same player had another chance 3 minutes later but put his shot wide when well placed. Grantham were working hard and Liam Read saw his 25 yard effort go wide on 67 minutes. Sutton’s Luke Rogers was causing the Grantham defence problems and when he burst through on 68 minutes Jake Turner brought him down just outside the penalty area with the ball going on to narrowly miss the goal. Referee Mr Smedley produced a yellow card for the Grantham keeper. Rogers took the resultant free kick himself and fired over the Grantham wall to put Sutton two up. The same player then fired another free kick over before Lee Shaw played the ball across the Sutton goal but no one was able to get a touch. Lee Beeson saw his free kick go over on 76 minutes and a minute later Grantham introduced Carlos Vagaroso for his debut in place of Liam Read and on 83 minutes they replaced Aiden Kirby with Jack Beckett but it was Sutton who finished the game the stronger with Jake turner making saves from Malcolm Melvin and Danny Callaghan in the closing minutes.

J Turner, D Meadows, M Emmott, L Beeson, B McGowan, M Hollingsworth, A Kirby (J Beckett 83), R Lewis, L Read (C Vagaroso 78), B Saunders, L Shaw.
Subs not used L Gorman, L Farmer.

Sutton Coldfield
J Wren, A Gonzales, M Jackson, A Forde, J Kettle, K Rowley, M Melvin, D O’Callaghan, S Bell, K Rogers (J Beresford 79), K Bryant (R Stephens 73).
Subs not used T Turton, J Fitzpatrick, J Harrison

Referee Mr I Smedley

Yellow Cards – Sutton 3, Grantham 1

Corner Count Sutton 4, Grantham 5

Attendance 105

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Skelmersdale United 46 53
17. Matlock Town 46 52
18. Grantham Town 46 51
19. Whitby Town 46 47
20. Mickleover Sports 46 46
21. Stamford 46 45
22. Hyde United 46 40

Team sponsors


Club sponsors