Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Grantham Town FC


First Team - Match centre

Grantham Town
Skelmersdale United
Sat 17 Oct 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - Premier Division Full time Attendance 203

Another Draw For The Gingerbreads

Grantham draw 2-2 With Skelmersdale

Grantham finished with a point against Skelmersdale but as manager Adam Stevens said they created enough chances to have won several games.
Skelmersdale began on the attack forcing Grantham to defend but Grantham were soon on the front foot and Lee Shaw brought a great save from keeper Fearon on 7 minutes to force the first corner of the game. Greg Smith headed wide from a McGhee free kick and Micky Emmott dragged his shot from 20 yards wide as Grantham pushed the visitors back. Danny Meadows drove deep into the Skelmersdale half on 14 minutes but his final pass just eluded Lee Shaw and a minute later Rhys Lewis brought another fine save from Fearon from a header. Grantham took the lead on 16 minutes when following a corner the ball was blocked on the goal line but Greg smith reacted first to stab the ball home. Jamie McGhee limped off after 23minutes with a groin injury to be replaced by Lee Beeson. Both Michael Hollingsworth and Lee Shaw saw their shots go over before in a rare Skelmersdale attack Louis Corrigan got a shot in but it was comfortably collected by Jake Turner. Skelmersdale applied some pressure with Kenny Strickland and Gerrard Kinsella having half chances before Grantham returned to the attack with Danny Meadows going close after a good passing movement between Beeson and Shaw. There were appeals for a penalty when Lee Shaw went down in the box on 42 minutes but referee Mr Middleton waved the appeals aside. The half ended with Shaw turning in the box but his shot came back off the post and then Beeson fired over from 30 yards.
Skelmersdale again began the half on the attack and Danny Meadows has to head away a dangerous cross after 47 minutes. Grantham had a good chance to increase their lead on 53 minutes when Hollingsworth sliced his shot wide from a good position and a minute later Skelmersdale were level. A free kick from 30 yards was floated to the far post where it found Gerrard Kinsella unmarked to score. Greg Smith went close with a fierce drive from 35 yards and then on 62 minutes Grantham went in front again. Skelmersdales Tony Rendell handled in the box under pressure from Lee Shaw and Lee Beeson scored from the penalty. Brad McGowan tested Fearon on 68 minutes with the Skelmersdale keeper touching over his long range shot that was dipping under the crossbar. Ben Saunders came on for Greg Smith on 78 minutes and his first effort went narrowly wide. Skelmersdale equalised on 84 minutes in controversial circumstances. There appeared to be a handball by a blue shirt but play continued and when a Skelmerdale went down in the box the referee pointed to the spot despite their appearing to be no contact. Skelmerdale skipper Strickland converted the spot kick to give his side a share of the points.
J Turner, D Meadows, M Emmott, S Purcicoe, B McGowan, L Gorman, J McGhee (L Beeson 23), R Lewis, G Smith (B Saunders 78), L Shaw, M Hollingsworth
Subs not used J Beckett, C Vagaroso, J Walker

M Fearon, V Fernandez, S Holden, T Hardwick, T Rendall, S Staunton-Turner, P Mooney, K Strickland, C Almond, G Kinsella, L Corrigan.
Subs not used T Donaldson, P Heron, J Owen.

Referee D Middleton

Yellow Cards
Grantham None
Skelmersdale 1
Red Cards None

Corner Count
Grantham 5
Skelmersdale 5

Attendance 203

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Skelmersdale United 46 53
17. Matlock Town 46 52
18. Grantham Town 46 51
19. Whitby Town 46 47
20. Mickleover Sports 46 46
21. Stamford 46 45
22. Hyde United 46 40

Team sponsors


Club sponsors