Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Grantham Town FC


First Team - Match centre

Ilkeston FC
Grantham Town
Sat 24 Oct 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - Premier Division Full time Attendance 484

Town Lose 2-1 at Ilkeston

Penalty Miss Costs Gingerbreads

Despite a spirited second half comeback Grantham went down 2-1 at Ilkeston.
Ilkeston began on the front foot forcing two early corners. Grantham went close on 15 minutes went Ilkeston keeper Ross Durrant got the slightest of touches to a Michael Hollingsworth 30 yarder with the ball hitting a post before going out for a corner. Grantham were now more into the game and Ilkeston defender Matt Baker had to head back to his keeper following a Danny Meadows cross. Matt Baker had a chance for Ilkeston on 17 minutes but his header from a corner went straight to Jake Turner. Ilkeston got back on top and Turner had to punch clear under pressure from both Daniel Udoh and Charlie Coulson after 22 minutes. Ilkeston forced 2 corners on 25 and 26 minutes before 2 minutes later Charlie Coulson ran through un challenged to fire Ilkeston ahead. Ben Saunders Turned on the edge of the box on the half hour but his shot went narrowly wide and Hollingsworth saw another 30 yard effort go narrowly wide as Grantham pushed for an equaliser. Turner made a good double save from Udoh on 34 minutes. The game was held up for 5 minutes following what looked like a serious injury to Lee Beeson which resulted in the Grantham mid fielder leaving the field on a stretcher to be replaced by debutant Ben Harris. Ilkeston forced consecutive corners on 42 minutes and from the second Ilkeston skipper Joe Burgess headed home to put Ilkeston 2 up at half time.
Grantham began the second half brightly with Ben Hill firing narrowly wide on 48 minutes. Ilkeston were counter attacking at pace but Grantham continued to press forward. Grantham introduced Jamie McGhee for Greg Smith on 54 minutes and he went close a minute later following a pass from Ben Hill. Grantham were now in the ascendency and McGhee was crowded out after running at the Ilkeston defence. Grantham had a great chance to get back into the game when Lee Shaw was brought down by keeper Durrant and although the referee pointed to the spot he decided the offence didn’t warrant a card. Michael Hollingsworth took the kick but placed it to close to the keeper who saved it comfortably. Lee Shaw just failed to get onto the end of a McGhee pass as Grantham continued to press with Ben Saunders firing wide after 77 minutes. Grantham introduced Stefan Bilyk for Lee Shaw on 80 minutes and a minute later Grantham pulled a goal back when Ben Saunders turned superbly on the edge of the box before chipping the ball over the keeper into the net. Grantham continued to push to the end but couldn’t break through again and Ilkeston held on for the win.
J Turner, D Meadows, M Emmott, S Purcicoe, B McGowan, M Hollingsworth, L Shaw (S Bilyk 80), R Lewis, G Smith (J McGhee 54), B Saunders, L Beeson (B Harris 40)
Subs not used L Gorman, J Walker.

R Durrant, M Harness, R Dolan (L Rose 80), J Burgess, M Baker, O Luto, J Doyle, E Bako (B Morris 68), D Udoh, C Coulson, D Atkinson (L Walker 76)
Subs not used R Head, E Rachoni

Referee S Eagland

Yellow Cards
Grantham 3
Ilkeston 1
Red Cards None

Attendance 484
Corner Count
Grantham 3
Ilkeston 9

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Skelmersdale United 46 53
17. Matlock Town 46 52
18. Grantham Town 46 51
19. Whitby Town 46 47
20. Mickleover Sports 46 46
21. Stamford 46 45
22. Hyde United 46 40

Team sponsors


Club sponsors