Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Grantham Town FC


First Team - Match centre

Grantham Town
Salford City
Sat 28 Nov 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - Premier Division Full time Attendance 788

Four In a Row For Gingerbreads

Grantham make it 4 league wins in November with a 2-0 win at the Meres against Salford City

Grantham ended Salford’s 17 game (9 this season) away winning sequence at a wet and windy Meres with a well-deserved 2-0 victory in front of a crowd of 788.
Grantham skipper Jamie McGhee won the toss and elected to kick into the strong wind in the first half. Salford were unable to take advantage of the wind at their backs and it was Grantham who had the better of the half with McGhee bringing a save from Salford keeper Jay Lynch and Ben Harris firing over when well placed in the box on 20 minutes. Salford’s Gary Stopforth made progress down the right on 23 minutes but when his cross came it was cleared away for a corner. Grantham closed down in mid field quickly and Salford were restricted to long range shots with Steve Howson’s effort from 35 yards going well wide on 32 minutes. Grantham continued to press despite the conditions with Micky Emmott’s cross on 36 minutes being cleared for Grantham’s first corner of the game. Salford threatened in the final minute of the half when they were awarded a free kick in a central position 25 yards from goal but Richie Allen’s effort went over without troubling Jake Turner. The half ended with Jamie McGhee bringing a save from Lynch.
With wind advantage in the second half Grantham pushed Salford back but it was Salford who created the opening chance when Allen fired wide of the far post with Turner beaten. The game was halted on 55 minutes following an incident on the Salford bench which resulted in referee Mr Benton sending both of Salford’s joint managers to the stands. Jake Turner came out to kick clear from Salford’s Danny Webber on 58 minutes and a minute later Allen’s cross for Salford passed across the goal with no one able to get a touch. Ben Harris had another chance on 61 minutes when he latched onto a pass from Michael Hollingsworth but delayed his shot and it finally went wide. Grantham had Salford pegged back in their own half. Ben Saunders went close on 69 minutes when his lob from the edge of the box was dipping under the bar but Lynch just got back to superbly touch the ball over. The respite didn’t last long because when Danny Meadows bent in the resultant corner to the far post it was met by Rhys Lewis who headed firmly home to give Grantham the lead. This lead was increased on 81 minutes when from another Danny Meadows corner the ball was only partially cleared by the Salford defence and Rhys Lewis was able to fire home the loose ball for his and Grantham’s second goal of the afternoon. Grantham introduced Jack Beckett for Ben Harris and Stefan Bilyk for Lee Shaw and they were able to see out the rest of the game including 5 minutes of added time to take the 3 points which saw them move up to 17th in the table.
J Turner, D Meadows. M Emmott, M Hollingsworth, B McGowan, S Purcicoe, J McGhee, R Lewis, L Shaw (S Bilyk 90), B Saunders, B Harris (J Beckett 88)
Subs not used L Gorman, A Kirby, E Sweeting

J Lynch, C Lynch, S O’Halloran, G Stopforth, S Howson, A Dawson, S Burton, T Moses, D Webber (J Poole 69), R Allen (T Peers 82), J Hulme (C Sharp 69)
Subs not used E Keebie, L Hardcastle

Referee Mr D Benton

Yellow cards Grantham 2 Salford 2
Red cards 0

Free kicks conceded Grantham 13 Salford 12

Corner count Grantham 4 Salford 2

Attendance 788

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Halesowen Town
Mickleover Sports
Ilkeston FC

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Skelmersdale United 46 53
17. Matlock Town 46 52
18. Grantham Town 46 51
19. Whitby Town 46 47
20. Mickleover Sports 46 46
21. Stamford 46 45
22. Hyde United 46 40

Team sponsors


Club sponsors