Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Grantham Town FC


First Team - Match centre

Grantham Town
Sat 16 Jan 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - Premier Division Full time Attendance 235

Gingerbreads Edged Out by Workington

Gingerbreads fall to a single goal defeat to Workington

Grantham were edged out by top 5 side Workington with a single first half goal giving them all 3 points
The game saw a debut for young keeper Richard Dearle who is on loan from Nottingham Forest coming in for the unavailable Jake Turner. Ben Saunders returned after missing the Ramsbottom game and Ben Harris returned to the starting line-up. Jack Becket and Lee Shaw both dropped to the bench and were joined by another debutant Lewis Carr who has joined from Stamford. James Cullingworth, Aiden Kirby and Stefan Bilyk all missed out through injury whilst Lawrence Gorman has been released by the club.
The game began with both sides testing each other out. Mickey Emmott tested Workington keeper Alex Mitchell with a deep cross after 2 minutes and the keeper was called into action again on 6 minutes when he came out to block a Simmons shot after the Grantham striker had over run the ball.. Workington had the ball in the net on 7 minutes but McLuckies effort was ruled out by an off side flag. Workington took the lead on 11 minutes. The ball was cleared out to Conor Tinnion on the left and from 30 yards his shot took a slight deflection to beat Dearle. Grantham were getting the ball into good areas but the Workington defence stood firm. Workington’s Anthony Wright saw his 19th minute header land on top of the net and then McLuckie shot over and Gareth Arniston’s 35 yard strike was saved by Dearle as Workington pressed for a second goal. The Workington defence were restricting Grantham’s chances and Alex Simmons was closed out following a good turn in the box after 22 minutes and on 25 minutes Ben Saunders was beaten to an over the top ball by a Workington defender. Workington came back and Dearle was out quickly on 27 minutes to block a shot from McLuckie as he closed in on goal. Grantham returned to the attack and both Ben Saunders and Ben Harris had shots blocked on 28 minutes. Workington claimed a penalty on 30 minutes when McLuckie went down in the box but the referee waived away their claims. Grantham pushed forward again and Mickey Emmott’s cross on 33 minutes went across the area without anyone getting a touch and on 33 minutes Ben Saunders header at goal was cleared by a header from Workington’s Sam Smith. Ben Harris found Alex Simmons with a through ball on 41 minutes but again the Grantham striker over ran the ball and Mitchell was able to block his shot at the expense of the first corner of the game. From the corner Ben Saunders saw his header go narrowly over. Workington countered and it took a last ditch tackle from Ellis Storey to stop them again at the expense of a corner. The half ended with Mitchell saving a Danny Meadows free kick.
Workington began the second half on the attack but Grantham countered with Michael Hollingsworth volleying over after Jamie McGhee cross was cleared on 52 minutes. McGhee was just beaten to a Simmons through ball by a covering defender on 55 minutes. Grantham made their first change on 59 minutes when Lee Shaw replaced Alex Simmons. Workington’s Tinnion tried a 25 yard strike on 59 minutes but the ball went over. Grantham were pressing for an equaliser and Ben Saunders was crowded out in the box 64 minutes. Grantham introduced Lewis Carr for his debut replacing Ben Harris on 61 minutes. Michael Hollingsworth put a 35 yard effort wide on 67 minutes and 3 minutes later Lee Shaw fired over when well placed but he had already been flagged off side. Rhys Lewis saw his header saved by Mitchell on 74 minutes as Grantham continued to try to break down the Workington defence. Mitchell was called into action again on 78 minutes saving a Danny Meadows free kick after Lee Shaw had been brought down on the edge of the box. Jamie McGhee couldn’t keep his shot from 15 yards down on 80 minutes and a minute later the Grantham skipper was replaced by Jack Beckett. Workington came close to increasing their lead on 85 minutes but a saving goal line clearance by Sam Purcicoe saved the day for the Gingerbreads. Grantham forced a late corner on 87 minutes but much to the astonishment of both sides referee Mr Pidduck over ruled his assistant and awarded a goal kick. The game ended with Grantham appealing for a penalty after the ball appeared to be handled by a Workington defender but Mr Pidduck waved play on and Workington took all 3 points from a game that Grantham probably deserved something from.

R Dearle, D Meadows, M Emmott, M Hollingsworth, S Purcicoe, E Storey, J McGhee (J Beckett 81), R Lewis, A Simmons (L Shaw 59), B Saunders, B Harris (L Carr 61)
Sub not used D Martin

A Mitchell, J Simpson, G Rowntree, K May, S Smith, J Earle, P McLuckie, A Wright (R McCartney) 76), G Arnison, R Wilson, C Tinnion
Subs not used L Studholme, M Newton, J Bethwaite, J Jamieson

Referee Mr R Pidduck

Red Cards – Nil
Yellow Cards – Grantham 0 Workington 1

Free Kicks Conceded – Grantham 5 Workington 8

Corner Count – Grantham 2 Workington 1

Attendance 235

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Skelmersdale United 46 53
17. Matlock Town 46 52
18. Grantham Town 46 51
19. Whitby Town 46 47
20. Mickleover Sports 46 46
21. Stamford 46 45
22. Hyde United 46 40

Team sponsors


Club sponsors