Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Grantham Town FC


First Team - Match centre

Grantham Town
Sat 12 Sep 15:00 - The Emirates FA Cup 15-16 Full time Attendance 191

Town Crash Out of FA Cup

Chasetown win 3-0 to dump Gingerbreads Out of the FA Cup

Grantham fell at the first hurdle of this seasons FA cup when they went down 3-0 at Chasetown. Grantham can have few complaints as Chasetown dominated for much of the game and were deserved winners.
Ben Saunders and Lee Beeson were both unavailable and Ellis Storey failed a pre match test on his foot. Brad McGowan returned after completing his suspension and new signing Carlos Vagaroso came in as a substitute.
Chasetown pushed Grantham back from the kick off with Ryan Wynter volleying wide after just 2 minutes. Chasetown’s winger Stan Mugisha was causing the Grantham defence problems and Jake Turner saved his shot as Chasetown forced two early corners. Little was seen of Grantham’s attack in the early stages as their defence struggled to keep Chasetown’s forwards in check. Nathan Waite brought another good save from Turner after 5 minutes as Chasetown continued to dominate. Michael Emmott dis see his cross into the box cut out by Chasetown keeper John Bateman and Michael Hollingsworth saw his 25 yard effort pass over the bar 2 minutes later. Chasetown returned to the attack with Richard Davies firing over from 25 yards on 20 minutes and Waite turned sharply on the edge of the box on 23 minutes but his shot went over. Turner made another fine save on 29 minutes from Richard Davies before Grantham briefly threatened but both Lee Shaw and Liam Read were crowded out by the Chasetown defence before they could get a shot in on goal. Ellis Humble headed a Read cross over on 31 minutes and Jake Becket saw his shot go wide after he had run into the Chasetown half. Waite headed wide for Chasetown on 36 minutes but made no mistake 5 minutes later when he scored the goal that Chasetown had been threatening. Again Mugisha tormented the Grantham defence evading 2 challenges before playing Waite who gave Turner no chance from 12 yards. The half ended with Jack Beckett heading wide from Danny Meadows cross.
Mugisha worked a good position in the first minute of the half but was crowded out in the box. Danny Meadows 48th minute free kick beat the Chasetown wall but not keeper Bateman. Jake Turner was called into action with a double save at the feet of Mugisha on 50 minutes. Danny Meadows then saw Bateman punch away his fierce 30 yard free kick on 53 minutes. A minute later Michael Hollingsworth got the games only yellow card for a late challenge by the side-line. Grantham made a double substitution 64 minutes with Stefan Bilyk and Aiden Kirby replacing Michael Emmott and Jack Beckett. Chasetown doubled their advantage on 65 minutes in controversial circumstances. Jake Turner made another save at full stretch but with the ball going out for a corner it was played back into the danger area by a Chasetown hand and Waite was on hand to net from close range. Despite Grantham’s protests the goal stood leaving Grantham a mountain to climb. Grantham did push forward with Bilyk heading Meadows cross wide on 72 minutes but Chasetown scored a third goal on 83 minutes when Waite got in front of Ellis Humble to head powerfully past Turner to complete his hat trick and put the tie beyond the Gingerbreads

J Turner, D Meadows, B McGowan, L Gorman, E Humble, M Hollingsworth, J Beckett (Aiden Kirby), R Lewis, L Shaw, L Read, M Emmott (S Bilyk 64)
Subs not used Luke Farmer, Carlos Vagaroso
J Bateman, R Thompson, J Gould, C Slater, F Francis, J Dance, L Butler (S Brown 71), R Davies, N Waite, R Wynter (J Haynes 66), S Mugisha (Lewis Rankin 86)
Subs not used P Sullivan, D Griffiths, D Edwards, T Burns

Referee P Hobday

Yellow Cards – Grantham M Hollingsworth. Chasetown 0
Red Cards – None

Attendance 191

Corner Count Grantham 6 Chasetown 5

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors