Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Great Yarmouth Town Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Great Yarmouth Town
Brantham Athletic
Sat 5 May 13:30 - Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties - Premier Division Full time

Bloaters 3 Brantham Athletic 3

Bloaters Stalemate Against Brantham

The home side included long-standing absentees Tom Cullumbine and Mitch Forbes for the penultimate game of the season. Ager and Holmes were rested so Ben Lewis was employed at centre-back with Ray Urry. The bloaters kept faith with the rest of the squad that performed well recently at Haverhill Borough and Saffron Walden. The visitors were clearly resting a few of their squad ahead of their Cup Final on Bank Holiday Monday ,although they were named on the bench. Captain for the day for the Bloaters was Charlie Bartram.
The visitors started well and Newson operating on the left was an early threat as his pace created a couple of decent chances. The home side were trying to play football on the tricky Wellesley surface but Brantham’s direct approach was probably the order of the day on the sun-baked Wellesley surface. So it proved as the visitors took the lead when a long searching ball found Matharin and his lobbed cross found Ben Newson unmarked at the far post and he headed past Milligan for the opening goal after nine minutes. The lead lasted only four minutes as a good attack by the home side saw Sanders clip a deft pass into Davis and his powerful drive was deflected out for a corner. From the short corner Palmer drifted inside and fired in a speculative low drive that missed everybody but found the bottom corner of the net to put the hosts level. Cullumbine was proving to be the focal point of the home attacks and he and Palmer combined well to set up a chance for Sanders who appeared to be felled in the penalty area but he managed to get to his feet first and fired a shot past Robinson to give the Bloaters the lead on 24 minutes. The bloaters were now playing well and looked good value for their lead against fifth-placed Athletic, however chances were few and far between as both defences seemed to have a measure of their opponents. Lewis in particular caught the eye in the unusual position of centre-back, but there were no further addition to the scoreboard as the home side deservedly led at half-time.
HT Great Yarmouth Town 2 Brantham Athletic 1
The visitors made a change at half time bringing on Johnson for Sykes. The home side began the second-half well as they kicked towards the tennis court end of the ground. A long hopeful ball almost caught Robinson out as Cullumbine was about to pounce but the visitor’s keeper just about managed to recoverin time. Davis again weaved his magic and found Cullumbine but his volley was too high. Cullumbine again did well as some good work by Ford won the ball in a good position, but the striker’s curling effort went narrowly wide of the far post as the hosts resumed control. The experienced Michael Brothers then came on for Newson and the visitors seemed to renew their enthusiasm for the game. Within two minutes they were almost level when a header by Smith cannoned off the bar. A couple of minutes later and the visitors were level. Some careless play saw the ball gifted to the visitors and within three crisp passes they ball was in the back of the net. Worse was to come for the home side as on the hour mark, a direct freekick awarded for the visitors thirty five yards out, was dispatched with great power and accuracy by full back Jack Smith into the roof of the net. One of the best goals witnessed at the Wellesley for quite some time. There was a swagger about the visitors now they had the lead. In response Forbes came on for Palmer as the home side went looking for an equaliser. Lewis almost found the net with a header from a Davis corner and then Cullumbine found Forbes in space but his shot was easily gathered by Robinson. With fifteen minutes left the equaliser came as Forbes got through and held off his marker before firing a shot past Robinson into the net to make it 3-3. The visitors were not yet done it was they that looked the more likely to get a winner. First Urry denied Brothers and then Milligan made a couple of saves to keep the score level. Bartram did well to scamper back as again Brothers threatened to break through, but the score remained 3-3 until the end. An enjoyable, but typical end of season game , with nothing on it for either side but both sides looking to get through the game unscathed for their big Bank holiday fixtures..
Great Yarmouth Town : Milligan, Howell, Ford, Bartram ©, Lewis, Urry, Palmer, Sanders, Cullumbine, Davis ,Hagan. Subs : Eagleton , Lopes, Forbes, Gallent,
The game was sponsored by Derek Bird and Tom Cullumbine was voted Man of The Match
FT : Great Yarmouth Town 3 Brantham Athletic 3

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Coggeshall Town
Stowmarket Town
Hadleigh United
FC Clacton
Felixstowe & Walton United
Long Melford
Walsham le Willows
Saffron Walden Town
Godmanchester Rovers

League table

# Team Pl Pts
13. Wroxham 46 66
14. Ely City 46 63
15. Great Yarmouth Town 46 59
16. Long Melford 46 59
17. Walsham le Willows 46 55
18. FC Clacton 46 51
19. Haverhill Rovers 46 49

Team sponsors


Club sponsors