Grimsby RUFC was formed in 1885 and is one of the oldest Rugby Union Clubs in the country.
Mr Walter Alford Green became the very first President of the club and on the 21st November 1885 Grimsby played a team from Hull at Grimsby which resulted in a win for the Hull side.
In November 1910 played against the Northern Union (League rules) on the Boulevard (now Duke of York gardens), some famous names from the time took part in this game; Wattle Davis the Welsh International to name one of them.
In January 1923 the Rugby Club was formed on a proper basis and the first game was played away at Gainsborough, Grimsby winning by 31 points to 5. These early home games took place at Charltons on Littlefield Lane until a pitch was secured, thanks to Mr S.S. Northcote at Fairfield in Scartho.
A return match against Gainsborough was arranged at home when over 2,000 spectators watched Grimsby win by 62 points to nil.
After WWII, Grimsby continued to play rugby, first on land at the bottom of Peakes Lane then on Barratts Recreation ground near the Scartho Road swimming pool.
It was not until 1961 that, with the good grace of the Earl Yarborough and some hard fund raising by the members, the Club moved to it's present location on Springfield Road, Scartho, Grimsby