Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hamworthy United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Hamworthy United Football Club
Sat 20 Jan 15:00 - League Full time

Lymington Town 3 Hamworthy United 3

Sydenhams Premier League (Saturday 20th January 2018)

The two teams had already met twice this season, a 0-0 draw in the first League game, and a 2-6 FA Vase win for the Town , both were played at the County Ground For this third meeting, the Walker brothers finally were able to face each other. In what must becoming a selection headache for United boss Brendon King, he gave a start to Jamie Beasley after his impressive performance off the bench last week. Andy Knights stepped in for the sick Nick Jones. The much improved Sports Ground had stood up well to the recent rain with a decent crowd present.
The early period was quite even, but it was against the run of play when the Town took the lead on 26 minutes. Ashley Jarvis, just inside the penalty area, collected a measured through ball from Jack Odam before beating Andy Knights with a low shot inside his near post. Despite Jamie Gleeson being forced off on the half hour after injuring his hamstring, United were gradually taking hold with Town stopper Ross Casey producing some good saves. This included clawing out Dan Cann's header from just under the bar following a corner. This led to a frantic scramble on goal which the Hammers could not capitalise on. In a mini spell of Town pressure, Knights was relieved to save Jarvis's header off the post, but was unable to prevent a bizarre own goal on 40 minutes which doubled the hosts' lead. Watts somehow headed Jarvis's cross into his own net. Knights did well to beat out a shot from Steve Walker, with the alert Jamie Filkins blocking Owen Fee's follow up. Casey then earned his spurs with a fine double save from Max Buckler and Eddie Hodge. Although he took a knock for his troubles. The hosts, were on the ropes for periods of the first half, but found the net yet again in injury time. A free kick by Steve Walker quickly found its way to Fee whose cross was headed home firmly by Zak Pickett.
H/T 3-0
United's captain Nathan Walker was soon rallying his team for a fight back, and set the tone by side footing Darren Watts' deflected corner just over the bar. The Hammers gave themselves a glimmer of hope when they finally pulled a goal back on 65 minutes. An excellent ball by Cann put Jamie Beasley through on goal. He had little trouble rounding Town stopper Casey on the outside before sliding the ball into the far corner of the net. It took only a few minutes for that hope to become a distinct possibility as United forced a second goal. Beasley was at it again, his low hard cross deceiving everybody except the advancing Eddie Hodge who side footed the ball firmly into the exposed net. The Hammers continued to press forward and the remarkable recovery was complete on 86 minutes. Substitute Steve Smith won a throw-in near the corner flag. Up stepped Cann to launch the ball deep into the penalty area. This was cleared only as far back as Jamie Filkins, whose 20 yard first time strike ripped into the net via a deflection. In a final twist, the hosts missed three good chances in the closing minutes.This match certainly echoed the cliché "a game of two halves". The Town's three first half goals were largely against the run of play, but, having got them, they must have wondered how they failed to defend that big a lead. United's overall dominance probably deserved three points, but in the end showed great character to claw back a three goal deficit. Perhaps the real winners were any observing neutrals.
F/T 3-3
Hamworthy United: A Knights, S Clarke, C Clarke (C Preston 75), E Hodge, N Walker (c), B Walker, J Gleeson (J Filkins 30), M Buckler (S Smith 85), D Watts, D Cann, J Beasley
Unused Subs: O Nicholson

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors