Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hamworthy United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Tue 11 Sep 19:45 - Cup Full time Attendance 146

Hamworthy United 0 Sholing 1

Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round Replay(Tuesday 11th September 2018)

Hamworthy United 0 Sholing 1
Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round Replay(Tuesday 11th September 2018)

After deservedly holding the Boatmen to a goalless draw in a hard fought game at the Universal Stadium on Saturday, United were now hoping that home advantage mightcount. The Hammers were now able to field top goal scorer Dan Cann, and also Sam Bayston, both were suspended for the previous game, with Eddie Hodge also included in the starting lineup, and River Smith reverting to the bench.
In a rather more open game than on Saturday, both sides had early chances, but the first real opportunity fell to the hosts on the quarter hour. Cann slipped the ball neatly into the path of goal bound Eddie Hodge, whose low shot cannoned off the arms of the agile Ryan Gosney. The ball then ballooned onto the top netting, with Jamie Filkins on hand to pounce. Gosney put the icing on the cake by superbly holding onto Sam Bayston's corner under pressure. On 24 minutes it was the visitors who missed a good chance, Lee Wort found himself clean through after beating the offside trap, but put his angled shot wide. Ten minutes later, a pacey grass cutter from Hodge was cleanly gathered by Gosney, with Filkins again lurking in case of any mishandling. Tom Rees then produced a fine late save low down from Jake Hoole in a half that in which neither team really had the edge. Both had chances but with both keepers equal to anything they were called upon to do. It looked increasingly likely the result of the game would hinge on one moment of magic or one defensive error.
H/ T 0-0
After the interval, the visitors were just starting to get on top, and were moving the ball well. However unfortunately the game was soon held up for a few minutes after an accidental clash in the home goalmouth between Sean Wright and Owen Roundell, both later had to be substituted. Once play resumed, Rees timed his run well to clear from the advancing Dan Mason on the hour. It took a freak own goal in the 67th minute to finally break the deadlock in favour of the visitors. Hammers' captain Nathan Walker attempted to block Marvin McLean's low cross towards the near post, but agonizingly only succeeded in prodding the ball into his own net. The first goal had always looked likely to be the winning one, and so it was to prove. Although the Hammers gave it everything they had until the final whistle, the experience of the Sholing outfit showed in the end. They have by and large played together for some years, and this was always going to be a factor against a relatively new team. The visitors were now playing good passing football with a nice blend of containment and aggression. The nearest United came to an equalizer was Bayston's near post header to a Cann cross which came off the arms of Gosney for a corner. A last ditch long throw by Cann was also well held by the goalkeeper under severe pressure. The Hammers can take heart by holding the League favourites to a one goal margin over 180 minutes. The visitors deserved their victory on the night mainly for their second half performance, but United also had their chances to win in both games. In the end it took a freak own goal to separate them. The Boatmen now pocket the £6,000 prize money and earn a mouth watering trip to Slough Town, where we wish them the best of luck. United's FA Cup journey exceeded all expectations and they now move on to new challenges.
F/T 0-1
Hamworthy United: T Rees, N Peprah-Annan, D Randall, S Wright (R Smith 65), N Walker (c), C Senior, J Filkins, J Gleeson (A Costello 80), E Hodge, D Cann, S Bayston
Unused Subs: R Watkins, J Trekasgas (gkp), J Rowe, N Patrick

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors