Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hamworthy United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Hamworthy United Football Club
Sat 13 Oct 15:00 - Cup Full time

Shaftesbury 1 Hamworthy United 2

The Buildbase FA Vase - First Round (Saturday 13th October 2018)

Shaftesbury 1 Hamworthy United 2

The Buildbase FA Vase - First Round (Saturday 13th October 2018)

The Hammers were hoping to put the blip in their league form behind them, and return to winning ways on their short trip to North Dorset for this FA Vase encounter. Shaftesbury were sitting comfortably in mid-table in the Wessex Premier, and would be no easy opposition. Mark Jamison, newly signed from Poole Town started for United, with Jamie Gleeson taking the captain's arm band due to Nathan Walker's suspension. Their danger man and so often game changer Dan Cann was now fit enough to make the bench. The hosts meanwhile fielded ex-Hammers Dan O'Sullivan and Steve Smith.
United made the livelier start. An early Sean Wright header from a Jamie Filkins cross had to be beaten out by the Shaftesbury keeper Johnny Hill. However, the hosts soon took control. Tom Rees did well to palm to safety a dangerous cross by Jamie Danoris, with Adam Flint ready to pounce. He was also relieved to see a Josh Williams delicate shot on the turn rebound to safety off the bar. There was soon concern in the United camp when keeper Rees was grounded for several minutes after an accidental tussle with Steve Smith. Fortunately he was able to continue despite enduring a "dead leg". His value was soon made apparent by superbly denying Danoris, who was clean through on goal. In a rare Hamworthy attack River Smith appeared to be pushed in the back before the ball had arrived, but loud appeals for a penalty were denied. The Hammers continued to live dangerously and it was no surprise when the hosts took the lead on 28 minutes. United again defended badly and this time home captain Gary Bowles, positioned on the far side of goal, was first to react to a long corner. His header did not have much meat on it, but the ball nestled just inside the far post after a couple of bounces, with keeper Rees possibly still handicapped by his earlier injury unable to react. Rees however was soon called into making another fine save, this time pushing the ball out for a corner after a rasping long shot from Derick Hayford. The first 45 minutes was largely a half the Hammers would want to forget. Although United had more physical height, it was the hosts who had looked the more intimidating. The Hammers were also frequently outnumbered in attack, and clearly something had to change for the second period.
H/T 1-0
After the break and despite the Hammers making a change to a more attack minded formation, in truth little seemed to change. United could only muster the odd half chance, with the home team still looking fairly comfortable. The home side even had a few chances to increase their lead courtesy some sloppy Hamworthy defending. With no sign of where a United goal would come from, the game suddenly changed course in the wake of the introduction of a not fully fit Dan Cann on 75 minutes. Although Cann's early warning shot had gone well over the bar, his mere presence appeared to galvanize United, who finally got back on level terms on 83 minutes. Sam Bayston's corner was nodded in by Sean Wright almost on the goal line. It was not the cleanest of connections, but the Hammers would have taken anything at that stage. Two minutes into injury time it was a case of "deja vu" for Dan Cann. His teasing lob was chased down by Smith and Bayston who between them could not find a way to jostle the ball past Hill. Cann himself then took over, he turned and rounded everybody before squeezing the ball home just inside the far post to the rapture of the United fans. Several Shaftesbury players had claimed that a hand had been used to control the ball. However the Referee, after consulting his well positioned Assistant, allowed the goal to stand. It is therefore the Hammers who will go through and be one of the last of 128 clubs left in this national competition. They also got an added bonus by gaining little more of the prize money. The hosts though, who had been in control for long periods especially in the first half will be left to wonder how it was not them in the next round. Apart from the result this was a game for United to forget, no one knows that better than Callum and the team.
F/T 1-2
Hamworthy Utd: T Rees, J Filkins, N Peprah-Annan (C Senior HT) , J Rowe (D Cann 75), D Randall, M Jamison, R Smith, J Gleeson (c), S Bayston, S Wright, O Davis (E Batista 65)
Unused Subs: A Costello, S Cooper (gkp)

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors