Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hamworthy United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Hamworthy United Football Club
Sat 1 Dec 15:00 - Cup Full time Attendance 82

Hamble Club 1 Hamworthy United 1 (AET)Hamble Club 1 Hamworthy United 1 (AET)

Buildbase FA Vase Third Round (Saturday 1st December 2018)

Hamble Club 1 Hamworthy United 1 (AET)
Buildbase FA Vase Third Round (Saturday 1st December 2018)
United's makeshift attack was enforced by the fact that Luke Stone and Micky Finch were both cup-tied, and Dan Cann was away on business. This made the hosts slight favourites to reach the draw for the next round of the FA Vase, and reach the last 32 in the competition. Hamble were also three points above United in the league, but had played a game more. With the Hammers' options limited, Ollie Davis was handed a return to action, with new signing from Marlow Town Enike Ayomoto available from the bench if needed. Sean Wright, who has proved in recent games that he could find the back of the net, was now cast into a centre forward role.
On a heavy pitch there was little to separate the sides in the opening stages, but it was the Monks who broke the deadlock on 13 minutes. The danger looked over when Tom Rees back-pedalled to claw out a cross come shot from Coby Wilson. However the rebound was picked up by Nathan Lynch who was actually moving away from goal when he was caught by Mark Jamison for a clear, but needless penalty. Rees did well to get his chest behind Lynch's spot kick, but the ball fell kindly back to the same player for an easy tap in. United were soon back on level terms seven minutes later. Eddie Hodge did very well to first keep in play a ball that was drifting out for a goal kick, and secondly to stay on his feet under challenge. He then threaded through a teasing low ball to set up a teammate, but his attempt was well beaten out by Rory Anderson. The rebound fell to Ollie Davis who himself needed two pokes before finally getting the ball past the experienced goalkeeper and into the net. Soon after that the Hammers almost netted again with two great chances, but these were both well saved. Sam Bayston's well directed header to a perfect cross by Adam Costello was somehow scooped out by Anderson. Hodge again chased the loose ball and in preference to accepting the corner kick, cut in and fired a fine shot towards the far upright. This was equally matched by the diving save of Anderson. The hosts then came close themselves, Liam Attrill's firm header to Wilson's corner just missing the far post, with the United defence berating why he had not been picked up. The level score-line at the interval was a fair reflection of a first period that had been played with great energy by both teams.
H/T 1-1
The Monks came out of the blocks stronger than United at the restart, Rees having to make two decent early saves. He did well to get his legs to Ryan Wilkins' header, before being in exactly the right place to absorb a bullet header from danger man Lynch. However, the Hammers started to threaten again from the hour mark, characterized by two near misses. For the first, a loose ball fell kindly to Sean Wright who blazed it over from a good position. A little later, Hodge played through a fine ball to Davis. Seeing the keeper slightly off his line, the United man's delicate looping shot just cleared the bar. The initiative swayed back to the hosts for the last 15 minutes of the half, but the Hamworthy defence held firm to see the game into extra time.
F/T 1-1
With several tired and battle scarred legs on the pitch, neither side truly looked like finding a breakthrough in the additional period. However Jamison's effort only just cleared the bar. For the Monks, Alex Blake's effort was well gathered in by Rees. The Hammers were progressively inclined to play the safety first game, but a superb ball by the impressive Davis so nearly found Bayston, one of only two front runners to aim at. Nathan Walker also dug in with some fine clearances. The Hammers deserve immense credit for bringing Hamble back to the Specsavers County Ground for another bite of the cherry, and be in the draw for the next Round. The team that had to be put out was probably not an ideal one, with few options from the bench, but it achieved its maximum utility, and every single player was prepared to fight for the cause.
F/T+E/T 1-1
Hamworthy United: T Rees, A Costello, D Randall, J Filkins, N Walker (c), M Jamison, O Davis, J Gleeson, S Wright (C Senior 105), E Hodge, S Bayston
used Subs: E Ayomoto, J Delves

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors