Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Hanwell Town


Hanwell Town - Match centre

Chalfont St Peter
Hanwell Town
Tue 26 Sep 19:45 - The Evo-Stik South - East Full time Attendance 50

Chalfont St Peter 0 Hanwell Town 1

Away win

After our most disappointing start to a league season in living memory, which had seen us beaten in all of our six games to date and only scoring one goal in the process, we at last managed to get some points on the board with a narrow single goal victory away at Chalfont St Peter.
The game was never likely to be a classic and so it proved with both defences dominating throughout and it always seemed likely that a single goal either way would determine who walked away with the points.
That it was us who claimed the points could be attributed to the grit and determination of all of the our side who after taking the lead were determined that we would hold onto the precious three points.
We were the brighter side in the opening ten minutes enjoying greater possession but without creating any goal scoring chances and it was at the other end that the first real chance came and that was to former Town player Victor Osubo who rounded several players as he raced into our penalty area but he delayed his shot giving Oliver Duffy the opportunity to make a great block tackle sending the ball wide of our goal post. From the resultant corner, Xavi Comes did well to turn a header by the Chalfont skipper, Adam Kirby, over the cross bar. We continued to look the better side at this stage of the game with Charlie Mitchell out on our left flank, getting by another former Town player Mark Goodman almost at will.
An excellent movement involving Charlie and Callum Wright resulted in the former firing in a low shot which the Chalfont keeper Carl Dennison did well to turn around the post.
In the twenty seventh minute, we scored what proved to be the vital winning goal. A corner from the left by Charlie was blocked back into his path and Callum Wright was on the end of his resultant cross glancing the ball with his head low into the Chalfont net giving keeper Dennison no chance. At the other end, another long run by Osobu saw him booked for 'diving' as he raced across our penalty area. Dennison was then tested again by a long range effort by Callum but he safely turned the ball over his crossbar. Joe Chandiram, who's presence in the side was a great bonus for us was then the second player in the evening to get a yellow card as he pulled back Max Holland who had got by him. On the stroke of half time, the ball was in our net but fortunately for us, the assistant's flag was raised as Osobu was plainly offside.
In a similar fashion to the first half, we were the better side in the opening period after the interval. Charlie Mitchell cutting inside Goodman once again ruined a fine run with a weak shot straight at the keeper ignoring the opportunity to pass the ball to better placed colleagues. Dennison was again in action shortly after this time saving low down to his left from Callum Wright.
However, as the half moved on, it was Chalfont who were the better side as they dominated possession and our back four with everybody working very hard in front of them came under severe pressure. That Chalfont during this period were not able to carve out for themselves a goal scoring opportunity was reflected in the hard work that all our team were putting in.
Chalfont made three substitutions in quick succession, one of which certainly did not meet with the approval of their skipper Adam Kirby who kicked out at at least two closed doors as he made for the dressing room.
Two of the substitutes, Ryan Lewis and Luke Maguire were definite attacking options whilst the third, Jack Mullan, slotted in at central defence
allowing Alan Hedley to move forward to supplement Chalfont's attacking options. The minutes were ticking away as we soaked up raid after raid, but
we remained solid at the back and Xavi was very rarely under pressure.
With ten minutes remaining Harvey Killeen replaced the tiring Tom Hunt and might have done better than to volley the ball well wide after it had come to him on the edge of the Chalfont penalty area after Chalfont had struggled to clear a corner kick.
We almost made it two when Charlie cutting inside again drilled the ball goal wards where it struck a Chalfont defender and was diverted at pace just wide of the post with Dennison helpless in the centre of his goal.
Glen Yala who's work rate like the remainder of the side was excellent throughout cut inside to the by-line and the drove the ball across the face of the goal where Callum Wright racing in just failed to apply the finishing touch. Callum injured himself in the process and limped off to be replaced deep into injury time by Ricky Pither, Very shortly after much to the relief of us all, the final whistle was blown and the three points were ours !!!!

Side Xavi Comes, Callum Duffy, Joe Chandiram, Nick Turner, Oliver Duffy (capt), Jesse Kewley-Graham, Glen Yala, David Sangura, Tom Hunt, Callum Wright and Charlie Mitchell. Used substitutes: Harvey Killen for Hunt (80) and Ricky Pither for Wright (90 + 3). Unused substitutes: Lewis Ochoa, Georges Ehui and Rishett Lal.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other East results

Arlesey Town
Barton Rovers
Hartley Wintney
Hayes & Yeading United
Aylesbury United
Ashford Town (Middx)
Beaconsfield Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Egham Town 42 48
17. Northwood 42 41
18. Hanwell Town 42 34
19. Fleet Town 42 34
20. Barton Rovers 42 33
21. Aylesbury 42 33
22. Arlesey Town 42 14

Team sponsors


Club sponsors