Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hanwell Town app


Hanwell Town - Match centre

Hanwell Town
Sat 18 Nov 15:00 - The Evo-Stik South - East Full time Attendance 74

Moneyfields 3 Hanwell Town 1

10 men away loss

We made the long trip to Portsmouth, hell bent on bringing to an end Moneyfield's long unbeaten run in the league, a run only matched by one other side in the country at level 4, but it was not to be, despite a totally committed and excellent effort by all concerned.
On a difficult playing surface, it was immediate clear from all that we had heard previously that Moneyfields were a strong physical side who played a very direct style of football and they almost took the lead in the opening minutes with Sam Bunting making a terrific save to keep out a header from close range. However, on the ten minute mark, the Moneyfields keeper Stephen Howthorpe made arguably an even better save as he palmed away a header from Nick Turner that seemed destined for the far corner of the net from a measured free kick to the far post by Ollie Duffy.
However, from the resultant corner kick, Moneyfield's broke away with their right full back Louie Martin leading the charge but with only Sam to beat, Martin rather scuffed his shot and Sam made a good save.
Ruddock Yala then from almost inside our opponent's half tried a back pass to Sam but only succeeded in sending the ball behind for another corner to Moneyfields and once again we found ourselves having to defend against the tallness and physicality of the home side inside our penalty area. Fortunately on this occasion the corner came to nothing.
We were forced to make a substitution after twenty five minutes when Peter Dean feeling unwell was replaced by David Sangola. David was immediately into the action and after latching onto the ball from a pass by Ruddock sent a fierce shot goalwards only to be straight at Howthorpe.
With ten minutes to go before the interval, Moneyfields took the lead. As our back line appealed for offside, Joel Jackson raced through on his own and as he tried to round Sam in the box, he was brought down resulting in a yellow card for our keeper and a penalty for the home side. The Moneyfield's captain Steve Hutchings made no mistake from the spot as he sent Sam the wrong way. Before the interval, Moneyfields might well have increased their lead as they dominated possession with Joe Briggs shooting over when well placed after another break out from defence and then an even better chance fell to Jackson but he headed over from close range. So we went in at the interval still very much in the game.
We made an excellent start to the second half, taking the game to our opponents and Howthorpe did well turn to turn aside a fierce cross shot from Alfie Caine and then David had a shot blocked as he got onto a low driven cross into the box by Alfie.

From a free kick by Joe Chandiram, Nick then headed the ball back across goal over Howthorpe but it was headed clear from under the crossbar by a Moneyfields defender.
In the sixty fifth minute of the game which had become increasingly physical, Moneyfields's Ryan Pennery was shown an instant red card for a fierce unfair challenge on Ruddock as he went to clear the ball and this sending off increased the temperature as the game threated to boil over.
However, Moneyfields's immediate reaction to the sending off was to score again with Briggs cutting in from the left across the edge of our penalty area before unleasing a fierce shot across Sam into the far corner of the net. We made a change to our formation with Ollie moving into midfield leaving a back line of Joe Chandiram, Nick and Calum Duffy and it almost paid off when in a scramble in the Moneyfields's goalmouth, Howthorpe just managed to get his foot to a goalbound ball when he was going the other way. With ten minutes remaining, Moneyfields brought on all three of their substitutes shortly before Calum received the first of his two yellow cards. With six minutes remaining our fate was decided as from a scramble in our goalmouth after a free kick from the left flank, the ball finished up in our net. Initially, the announcer put it down to an own goal by Nick but subsequently the goal was awarded to Hutchings, his second of the match.
Two minutes later we reduced the deficit with the move of the match, several players being involved in a move from our left back position to our wide right position where an excelleent cross by Glen Yala found Ollie racing into the box and he turned the ball past Howthorpe from close range.
Unfortunately, on the stroke of full time, Calum worked up after exchanges of 'verbals' with Moneyfields's supporters received a second yellow card followed by the inevitable red, ruling him out of the game scheduled for Saturday 25th November against AFC Dunstable.
Our player's misery at defeat was compounded by a traffic hold up which resulted in them having a close on four hour journey back to Hanwell in the mini-bus.

Side: Sam Bunting, Ruddock Yala, Charley Mitchell, Nick Turner, Callum Duffy, Oliver Duffy (capt), Alfie Caine, Jesse Kewley-Graham, Peter Dean, Glen Yala, Joe Chandiram.
Substitute used: David Sangola for Peter Dean (25). Unused substitute: Ricky Pither.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other East results

AFC Dunstable
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Arlesey Town
Beaconsfield Town
Chalfont St Peter
Ashford Town (Middx)
Barton Rovers
Hartley Wintney
Hayes & Yeading United
Aylesbury United


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Egham Town 42 48
17. Northwood 42 41
18. Hanwell Town 42 34
19. Fleet Town 42 34
20. Barton Rovers 42 33
21. Aylesbury 42 33
22. Arlesey Town 42 14

Team sponsors


Club sponsors