Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hanwell Town app


Hanwell Town - Match centre

Hanwell Town
Tue 3 Oct 19:45 - The Challenge Cup 17-18 Full time Attendance 87

Hanwell Town 2 Uxbridge 1

League Cup progress

Meeting local rivals Uxbridge at home for the second time this season we managed to gain some small measure of revenge for the 2-0 defeat that they inflicted on us in the earlier League game.
It is believed that this is our first ever victory in this League Cup competition.
As was to be expected, both sides made changes from that which had represented them in their League fixtures seventy two hours previously.
With regular goalkeeper Xavi Comes not available, Risheet Lal made his first appearance in goal for us. Calum Duffy, David Sangola, Peter Dean, Glen Yala and Lamar Simpson were also missing from the previous Saturday's game against Barton Rovers. The Uxbridge line up was similar in that only four of the side that had played against Aylesbury at the weekend were in their starting line up.
Uxbridge almost took the lead in the sixth minute when a cross from the left by Cole Brown found Matt Sinclair unmarked on the edge of our penalty area and he thudded a left footed shot against the post with Risheet helpless. However, within a minute Uxbridge had taken the lead when from a corner on the left the ball was swung into our goalmouth, where Uxbridge's central defender Cory Watson, almost completely unmarked headed home from close range, a really 'soft' goal to give away.
At the other end, Charlie Mitchell cutting in from the right forced a good save from the Uxbridge keeper Josh Bramwell at his near post.
We equalised in the eightenth minute thanks to a surging run forward down the left flank by Ollie Duffy which culminated in Ollie crossing the ball low across the goal area where the hard working Tom Hunt got some reward for all his efforts by prodding the ball home from close range. Buoyed by this goal, we then began to dominate the proceedings and assumed control for the remainder of the half.
During this period we played some excellent football, moving the ball on occasion from flank to flank swiftly. All we needed at this stage were the goals to reward all our efforts. That we failed to take the lead was in part due to our weak finishing but also due to some resolute Uxbridge defending. Twice in quick succession, low crosses into the box by Charlie saw the ball scrambled to safety. Calum Wright then had his shot scrambled round the post by the Uxbridge keeper Josh Bramwell whilst Kyle Watson making a welcome return to our starting line up failed to get any force into this right footed shot from close range and Bramwell was confortably able to save his effort.
In the opening minute of the second half, Rasheet growing in confidence as the game went on made a good save from Uxbridge's Dwaine Williams.
However, we remained the better side and deservedly took the lead in the fifty eighth minute when Tom Hunt out wide on the right sent in the perfect cross into the Uxbridge goal area but out of the keeper's reach and strike partner Calum Wright was able to chest the ball down before poking it into the Uxbridge net. On the hour mark, we made our first substitution of the night with Ricky Pither replacing Tom O'Regan. As the game progressed so did Uxbridge become the more dominant side with them exploiting Town's mid field region. We were also showing noticeable signs of tiring, particularly up front and we were not able to retain the ball for any period of time. Uxbridge's arguably best chance of the half then presented itself when Sinclair from the right using his favoured left foot swung the ball in from a free kick straight onto the head of Adam Humphries but to our relief his header went wide of the far post. We made our second substitution with
David Sangola replacing captain Kyle Watson but this made very little difference to Uxbridge's overall control and Nick Turner became the first and the only one of our player's to be shown the yellow card on the evening when he over did a strong tackle in the mid field region. Rasheet was being called into action more and more as the minutes ticked away
and he coped well in saving a couple of low shots with Uxbridge players just waiting for the ball to be spilled from his grasp.
However, on the stroke of the final whistle he was beaten as the ball struck his near post from a shot by Chevy Hart but he recovered quickly to block the follow up shot.
Eventually, much to our relief the final whistle was blown and we were in the next round !!!

Side Rasheet Lal, Georges Ehui, Joe Chandiram, Nick Turner, Oliver Duffy, Jesse Kewley-Graham, Charlie Mitchell, Tom O'Regan, Tom Hunt, Callum Wright and Kyle Watson (c). Used substitutes: Ricky Pither for O'Regan (60) and David Sangola for Watson (70). Unused substitutes: Calum Duffy, Daniel Pritchard and James Henderson.
Booked: Nick Turner

Up your game with easyfundraising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors