Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hanwell Town app


Hanwell Town - Match centre

Hanwell Town
Redbridge FC
Hanwell Town win 4 - 2 on penalties. Tue 10 Oct 19:45 - London Senior Cup 17-18 Full time Attendance 65

Hanwell Town 2 Redbridge 2

Hanwell win 4-2 on pens

The size of the crowd for this additional midweek fixture may have been disappointing but the game was not. Both teams put together a number of pitch-length, quick passing movements involving several players and had individuals prepared to take on an opponent in the last third. For the first ten minutes Hanwell were on top but their neat inter-passing produced only one effort on goal, when Ricky Pither headed over. It therefore came as a surprise when Redbridge went in front. It happened when some nifty footwork by Lindisipko Mytanda gave him enough space to drive the ball into the bottom corner from twenty yards despite a valiant full-length dive by Risheet Lal.

Hanwell continued to look the better team with Glen Yala, David Sangolo and Callum Wright combining well on more than one occasion. On the other flank Charlie Daniels made three surging runs in true Kyle Watson style but the end result was disappointing on each occasion. Callum, who was looking dangerous every time he got on the ball, burst into the box after twenty minutes but he went down after a challenge that may or may not have been a foul. The referee decided it was the latter. Seconds later the Motormen looked certain to increase their advantage as Mytanda went clear after beating the offside trap. However, Risheet raced off his line to make a much-needed sprawling save.
In the twenty-seventh minute Town got the goal they deserved. A probing ball from Joe Chandiram was well-controlled by Callum who found Georges Ehui, who, in turn, found Glen. The latter’s deep cross was well met by Callum’s head and the scores were level. The home supporters now hoped that Town would go on to turn their greater possession into more goals. They did not foresee what was to happen five minutes later. Hanwell’s number five, Nick Turner, slid into a fifty-fifty challenge a split second too late and was red-carded. The general opinion from neutral observers was that it was an ‘orange’ foul, between red and yellow, as there was no malice in the challenge but the end result looked bad. The referee chose red and Town faced almost an hour at a numerical disadvantage.
The extra man saw the balance of play swing towards the visitors and the ball was spending more time in the Hanwell half. Redbridge almost regained the lead when a thundering drive from Malaki Towsant shook the cross-bar. Hanwell however began to threaten on the break and in the fortieth minute went ahead. A strong run by Charlie, now on the right, led to a one-two with Callum, setting the former up to shoot. The shot took a massive deflection and looped into the net. Against the odds Town were in front. Just before the half-time whistle the visiting ‘keeper, Jack Francis, did well to race off his line to thwart another surging run from Callum.
The second half continued from where the first had ended with the visitors having a lot more possession but Hanwell looking threatening on the break. With five minutes played Charlie set up Callum to crash a shot against the same bar that Redbridge had rattled earlier. Three minutes later the strength of the bar at the Argyle Road end of the ground was similarly tested when substitute Courtney Homans exchanged passes with Tommie Turner before shooting. As the hour mark approached Tom Duffy, who had just made a vital challenge to prevent a breakaway, was replaced by Harvie Gardiner, to the warm applause of the Hanwell faithful, who had been delighted to see the ‘skipper’ back. The Hanwell defence were being kept busy as the visitors went for an equalizer and Oliver Duffy was sent on to reinforce the midfield, replacing Charlie, who had had a good game. Risheet saved bravely at the feet of Homans before standing no chance with Patrick Duggan’s pile-driver from fully thirty yards that levelled the scores. Manager Ray Duffy immediately sent on the fresh legs of Calum Duffy, a move that almost brought an immediate reward when his shot from an angle was well saved, after good work by the other Callum.
As the match entered its final fifteen minutes it was becoming more even, despite the fact that Town were a man down. Glen, Callum and Calum all threatened with runs and crosses but there was no-one on the end of them. With a singular member of the largely unable to attend Car Park End ‘Massive’ calling for Hanwell to ‘come on’ the Toon went all-out for a late winner. Joe found Callum who brought the ball down on his chest but fired over. Glen found Olly whose inch-perfect cross was volleyed just over by Callum again. Finally, the latter player threatened again, but was denied by a last ditch tackle.
Thankfully the London Senior Challenge Cup does not demand extra time, which is so often a stale-mate, but goes straight to penalties. Strangely, the first four were all taken by substitutes. Olly and Calum Duffy both netted for the Town while, after Thomas Gogo had netted, Risheet made a great full-length save from Duggan to give Hanwell a two-one advantage. Joe made no mistake with Hanwell’s third spot kick which was equalled by Turner for the visitors. Daniel calmly made it four out of four for the’ Toon’ before Risheet made another flying save to thwart yet another Redbridge substitute, in Homans. Hanwell’s brave rear-guard action deserved a reward and one was attained, a place in Round Two.
TEAM: 1.Risheet Lal 2.Glen Yala 3.Charlie Mitchell (12.Oliver Duffy 65) 4.Tom Duffy (16.Harvie Gardiner 60) 5.Nick Turner 6.Daniel Pritchard 7.Georges Ehui 8.Joe Chandiram 9.Ricky Pither © (14.Calum Duffy 73) 10.Callum Wright 11.David Sangolo. Unused substitutes: 15.Jesse Kewley-Graham

The FA Respect: We Only Do Positive

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors