Hawick Harlequins

Hawick Harlequins

Quins Cut Forrester Down To Size

by Hawick Harlequins

Hawick Quins get their Season in East League Division Two off to the best possible start

Hawick Harlequins coach Timmy Pretswell is refusing to get carried away after Saturday’s emphatic victory.

The Baker Street men destroyed Forrester in their opening league fixture at Wilton Lodge Park to take the bonus point win.

Scott Peffers and Graeme Lothian ran well, with Ross Anderson strong in the tackle, while the forwards were to the fore and Ricki Kiore, Rory Smith and Ross Nichol all stood out.

The game was virtually over as a contest by the interval as the rampant Quins produced a masterclass in running rugby.

But Pretswell is making sure his charges keep their feet firmly on the ground.

He said: “There’s no way we’ll be getting carried away. There’s 18 games to play and that’s just the first, we’ve 17 more to come. They all played well and the first half in particular was really good and their attitude was spot on. It wasn’t so good after the break but I’ve no complaints with the result against a team that has come from the league above us.”

It was the first time these two sides had ever squared up against each other and after the visitors had kicked an early penalty, the Quins showed their mettle.

For the remainder of the half the were never out of the Forrester ‘22.

Playing a good passing game to a high standard, Lothian sailed in for the opening try and Peffers added the conversion.

This was followed by captain Ross Anderson who touched down.

Peffers showed he was as adept with the ball in hand as he was with the boot as he added a further two scores. He jinked over for the first, which he converted and then rounded off an excellent kick and chase, this time the extras were kicked by Neil Douglas.

With the Quins well on top, Peffers added to his points haul with a penalty.

A poor clearance kick from Forrester was punished when Lothian collected and waltzed in for his second of the afternoon.

Peffers converted and added another penalty before the referee brought some light relief to the visitors with the half-time whistle.

The Quins rang the changes at the break but this didn’t stop them and Alistair Stevenson added to the try count after good forward play and Peffers split the posts with the conversion.

Craig Rodgerson was next to score from the scrum half position, but this time the kick was missed.

It was at this point, with all the Quins’ subs on the pitch, that Forrester came back into the game, although the home defence was proving an unbelievably tough nut to crack.

With 5 minutes to go the Quins broke up field and from a ruck Adam Hall was on hand to complete the Quins’ scoring with a try that he also converted himself.

However, Forrester had the final say with a late converted score.


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!


or Register to add a comment