Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Heanor Town Football Club app



4 years ago By Tony Squires

Heanor Town FC 3-0 AFC Wulfrunians FA Vase First Round Replay Tuesday 4th November 2014 7.45PM

Heanor Town FC ensured the fireworks and sparks that were flying throughout the original tie on Saturday were kept under control as they lit up the Town Ground pitch with some eye catching football.
Courey Grantham and Chris Shaw both narrowly missed the target in the first ten minutes as Heanor started brightly.
Grantham nipped inbetween goalkeeper Jono Brown and his covering defender to tuck the ball home on fourteen minutes, if it hadn’t been for a keen eyed linesman it would have been the opener for The Lions.
It took until the twenty sixth minute for the deadlock to be broken, Grantham and Marriott combined with Marriott delivering a fantastic cross to Ricketts who stabbed the ball into the back of the net, giving Heanor the lead.
Ten minutes before the break it was an unlikely scorer in Marc Strzyzewski who added to the tally, Ricketts headed a cross down before Strzyzewski hooked the ball home from close range past a shell shocked Wulfs defence.
Piliero nearly added to the tally less than a minute before the break with a floating header that clipped the bar as it nearly caught the whole Wulfs defence off guard.

The second half started with a bang, not quite a rocket though!
82 seconds after the restart it was Kieran Debrouwer who raced away celebrating after he had met a Ricketts cross at the far post, just doing enough to get the ball over the line after Brown had inadvertently got a hand to the ball, causing it to spin towards the goal mouth.
Wulfs’ David Howells shot wide of goal in the fiftieth minute after finding himself in acres of space, a real wasted opportunity for Wulfrunians best player on the night.
The result already in the bag for Heanor it wasn’t any real shock that the entertainment started to wain over the remaining forty minutes.
Debrouwer had a chance to extend the lead more in the fifty seventh minute but saw Brown save his effort.
Wells replaced Ricketts on the hour, the man of the match enjoying a much needed rest after assisting two goals and scoring one for himself.
Ten minutes before the end of the match Sam Jones rolled Gerry Moran on a clear run at goal, under the close attention of a defender he saw his effort clear the bar.
Wulfrunians did create a final opportunity, Jamie King fired well wide three minutes before the final whistle.

Overall a professional performance from The Lions, coach Steve Huntington recently said “I don’t mind us being boring as long as we win the game” and Heanor were far from boring, but they did enough to see off the determined AFC Wulfrunians.

This result leaves Heanor with only one defeat in the last ten matches.

Heanor: Deakin, Marriott, Shaw, Jones, Hawes, Strzyzewski, Grantham, Moran, Ricketts (Wells 59), Piliero, Debrouwer.
Unused subs: McNicholas, Rogers, Ratcliffe, Baker.

Attendance: 126 (The highest for any First Round replay across England)

Next match: Nostell Miners Welfare (away) Saturday 8th November 3PM

Where next?

Ex-Football League Talent Joins Heanor Matt Richards joins Heanor Town FC

Sat 26 Jan
First Team West Bridgford
League 15:00
Sat 2 Feb
First Team Radford
League 15:00
Sat 9 Feb
First Team Teversal
League 15:00

Team sponsor


Club sponsor