Last Saturday saw the important fund raiser for our section take place this time at the begininng of the season. With Bentos delayed through an accident on the M62 it was a relief when we got the call that he'd be there before dinner was served.
The evening started in a racous way following wins by both 1st and 3rd XV's so many a guest was moist for the dinner to come. Win Beer for Your Table was ably won by Tony Murton (JR) and Heads 'n' Tails by Chris Thomas the Psycho centre partner of the author back in the day (who had flown in specially from Nice) winning a donated bottle of Grey Goose vodka. Thanx to Chairman Ruby for the donation and made the second win for Table 9! This vodka was then sold for £20...thanx Mr Eaton (Snr & Jr).
For those of you who haven't witnessed Bentos speaking then you missed a treat as he has been the only speaker we've invited back! Tales from life as a rugby professional and specifically the B&I Lions.
The auction was hotly contested with Phil "MC" Yeomans battling the noise and then rescued by Bentos to have folowing winning bidders:
- Manchester City Legends signed shirt £190 (Dave Kelly)
- Framed signed Jason Robinson Print £140 (Jim Forrester)
- RWC launch ball (Japan 2019) signed by John Bentley*£300 (Chris "keep it moist" Fortune)
- John Bentley signed book £80 (John Farrell)
- Framed signed Ricky Hatton Print £150 (Matt Hughes)
- England Shirt signed by John Bentley £400 (Ben Jones)
*John subsequently left the ball at Chris Barretts house unsigned. When discovering that he had gone home without signing he has undertaken to collect it and get Sir ian McGeechan and Mr Dalligio to sign as well!
Thanks go :
- All who attended and generously gave their support both in person and financially
- Dave Gordon who headed the event and gave a lot of time and effort as well as donations for the auction
- Players who donated the raffle prizes
- The Table Captains who coerced the players/guests to attend...yes it was a struggle at times!
- The youngsters who waited on...gentlemen one and all!
- Stuart the steward and the kitchen staff for all the cuisine
- Phil Yeomans for MC'ing...is the hammer still working?
Much needed funds have been raised to pay for all costs necessary to make the season a success and thanks
Updated 21:06 - 8 Oct 2018 by Pete Fielding