Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Hereford Rugby Club


Lutterworth 22 Hereford 19

3 months ago By Rob Davies

Hereford worked hard, but lost out to an injury time penalty goal.

In wet and windy conditions, both teams tried to play attractive, running rugby and provided six tries for a small, but enthusiastic crowd. Playing with the wind at their backs Lutterworth built up a 14 point lead before Hereford responded with an unconverted try, taking the interval score to 14 points to 5. Despite the worsening conditions, Hereford continued to play their attacking game and eventually it paid off with a brace of converted tries. Lutterworth added a try of their own and as the final whistle approached the scores were tied at 19 points all. With only injury time remaining, Hereford were caught off-side and Lutterworth slotted the penalty to give them the win.
Vice-Captain, Richard Preece said “Despite the weather conditions both sides did their best to play attacking football, our backs, when they got good ball, moved it nicely. Leon took his opportunity to score a great try, Tom took his chance well and teenager Matt Lawrence was outstanding. He stepped up and capped a great performance with the try that pulled us level. Lutterworth played well and deserved to win, but I thought a draw might have been a fair result.”
Lutterworth opened the game with a sustained attack and after a period of pressure contained by some good Hereford defence, they found a gap in the corner to run in a good try. Their second try came after a series of Hereford errors, they missed to find touch from a penalty. After winning the ball back they were awarded a scrum which Lutterworth took against the head and several missed tackles allowed Lutterworth to run in the try. Both tries were converted and half way into the first half, the visitors found themselves 14 points to nil down. Hereford responded with some good handling movements and took a number of quick penalties inside the Lutterworth half, which ended with Leon Parsons taking the opportunity to reduce the deficit with a try. The Wyesiders played the final minutes of the first half a man short after James Gannon was shown a yellow card.
Hereford started the second half as they ended the first, keeping ball in hand and attacking at every opportunity and Ben Osbourne, Tom Ewins and James Stubbs showed up well in these exchanges. The home side defended well and denied Hereford, until well into the final quarter Tom Ewins picked up a loose ball and drove over for a try, to which Bryn Goodall added the extra points. Only minutes later Lutterworth knocked on close to the Hereford line, the Wyesiders won the scrum but a handling error allowed Lutterworth to capitalise and touch down for an unconverted try. As time was running out, Gareth Jones won a lineout inside the Lutterworth 22, the forwards drove on across the goal-line and Matt Lawrence touched down for his first senior try. Bryn Goodall converted to level the score at 19 points all. With only injury time remaining Hereford were caught off-side, Lutterworth landed the penalty and Hereford were left with just a losing bonus point for all their efforts.
The four teenagers in the squad, Ewan Duncan, Lennon Fishlock, Bryn Goodall and Matt Lawrence all acquitted themselves well in the difficult conditions. The forwards, after a difficult first 10 minutes performed well in the set scrums and Richard Preece, Gareth Jones and Luke Yarranton performed well in the lineouts. The defence was generally sound and often had to defend for extended periods. All in all, this was a good performance which could easily have had a better result. Head Coach, Sean Lynn summed it up when he said “The boys showed great character and only a very good side will come to Lutterworth and take the points away.” Next week we have a local derby at Worcester and we shall hope to come away with a good result.

Updated 22:45 - 17 Mar 2018 by Rob Davies

Where next?

Mini/Junior 18th March 2018 Mini/Junior 18th March 2018
Lutterworth 22 Hereford 19 A penalty in the 3rd minute of injury time sealed the victory for Lutterworth.


Loading comments

Sat 3 Nov
Development squad Malvern 2
Friendly 14:15

News sponsor


Club sponsor