Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hertford RFC app


3rd (Hoes) XV - Match centre

Hertford RFC
Sat 15 Sep 15:00 - Friendly Full time

3s / 4s Match report: Hertford 34 – 34 Fullerians

Fullerians fight back frustration

Match report courtesy of Mr Alfred Church.

An all-star all-sorts collaboration between the 3s and Termites, with an age spread of 18 to 50+, played some great rugby against Fullerians in an open carefree game but couldn’t quite hold onto their lead, with Fullerians levelling the score with the last play of the game and just missing a difficult conversion to win it.

Hertford burst into action with free flowing unrestricted rugby, cajoled and corralled by the evergreen bottomless Giddings at scrum half. We kept possession, kept the pressure on and kept moving the ball. After numerous phases of play Fergus went over on the wing, followed by some decent interchanges between the forwards before Church scored, which was followed by another Fergus try. Three tries up in the sun, and all looked as good as it could do.

Peripatetic Chris Smith, welcomed back after a couple of years, was rampaging in the centres all day, showing great strength and breaking tackles at will. He was a very worthy Man of the Match. The Vets team will be very pleased to have him back. At the other end of the age spectrum, Joe Larner was making an impact in the back row and a number of running breaks and Hale was showing good vision to spread the game where he could.

A robust Fullerians team forced their way back into the game using their strong runners and exploiting missed first up tackles. They scored a couple of tries before Church went over, and then they scored again to make it (probably) 4 tries to 3 to Hertford at half time.

A pretty even start to the second half led to Fullerians scoring again. Hertford then fought back in an excellent spell. Waves of attack by Hertford were finished off by a bulldozing smash by Captain Shields from 5 metres out – unstoppable. Straight from the kick off, Hertford opened up the Fullerians defence with numerous interchanges, with the industrious Paddy scampering over from 22 out. Then straight from the kick, Hertford also repeated the same feat again, but the final pass went lose.

We were 2 tries up and looking good. But Fullerians came back yet again, and Herford spent much of the final 15 minutes of the game defending and just not able to impose themselves on the game. A yellow card and an ever-decreasing list of fit backs meant we were increasingly stretched. Crouchy was causing all sorts of disruption at the breakdown, and another very welcome returner, but the dam eventually broke. Fullerians scored with a few minutes left, and then with the last play of the game scored their sixth try to level the scores.

An entertaining game and a pleasure for the old-guard to have an opportunity to play with the up and coming generation.

Good luck to Maloney and any of the other youngsters that are off to uni. What times they have ahead of them.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsor