Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Hertford RFC app


U14 - Match centre

Biggleswade A
Hertford A
J Davey
S Millais
S Millais
Sun 14 Jan 11:00 - League Full time

No guts, no glory

Hertford grind out a win with their best performance of the season

The start of the day wasn't promising... 50 mins to go and only 13 players had arrived.

Biggleswade RFC felt like it was a long way away from the cosy comfort of Hoe Lane as rolling fields and windmills surrounded us, I for one was very glad for a mild and windless morning.

The warm-up went well and both teams were eager to get on with it as the referee kicked off at 11am.

Hertford kicked off and the first five minutes passed without Hertford touching the ball, solidly defending. Our first carry of the game saw William off the pitch with a dead leg, the ball turned over and Biggleswade scoring under the posts and converting to take a 7-0 lead.

Hertford rallied from the restart, won the ball and saw a period of sustained possession, the forwards ground out the hard yards but this was to be an attritional encounter between the two sides with neither set of backs really making any headway.

When Jack crashed over the line from short range to score in typical style and with Shakir adding the points the game was tied and it was clear that the game would be decided by the smallest of margins.

Hertford had a colossal let off just before half time when a Biggleswade player broke free and touched down - unfortunately for him he had mistakenly touched down on the 5m line, and Hertford were awarded a scrum. Hertford still managed a mini-panic on their touchline before Harry Palmer kicked for touch and the half was over.

The second half continued very much in the same style with both defences putting a huge shift in. With 12 minutes to go and the injury count racking up Hertford were awarded a penalty 30m out in front of the posts. Shakir nonchalantly stepped up and split the posts giving Hertford the slimmest of leads. Injuries started to come thick and fast with Adam, Harry Bird and Jack all being replaced.

Ollie Wade crashed over under the posts to potentially put the game away with minutes to go but was adjudged to have dropped the ball by the referee. The last few minutes saw Hertford retain the ball but then kick it away with a less than a minute to go. Biggleswade launched a final attack from their own try line and made it to the halfway line before the Hertford forwards stopped the Biggleswade maul and the referee blew for full time.

A tough and bruising encounter for both sides that was well refereed throughout. Finally we ended a tight game with the score in our favour.

Key moments

Try Try for Biggleswade A
Conversion Conversion for Biggleswade A
Try Jack Davey scores for Hertford A
Conversion Shakir Millais kicks a conversion for Hertford A
Penalty Shakir Millais kicks a penalty for Hertford A


View 0 new events
40:00 Penalty 7 - 10
Shakir Millais kicks a penalty for Hertford A
End of period 1
17:30 Conversion 7 - 7
Shakir Millais kicks a conversion for Hertford A
17:00 Try 7 - 5
Jack Davey scores for Hertford A
5:30 Conversion 7 - 0
Conversion for Biggleswade A
5:00 Try 5 - 0
Try for Biggleswade A
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Biggleswade A
  • Hertford A
  • 0
  • Try 5:00'
  • Conversion 5:30'
  • Jack Davey Try 17:00'
  • Shakir Millais Conversion 17:30'
  • Shakir Millais Penalty 40:00'

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.


Loading comments


Club sponsor