Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Hertford Town FC


Hertford Town - Match centre

Hertford Town
Royston Town
Full time
Unknown (43', 55', 67')
Tue 16 Jan 19:45 - Hertfordshire County Cup 17-18 Attendance 102

Blues’ county cup adventure is over

Hertford bow out to the Crows

Herts Senior Cup Quarter Final
Tuesday 16th January 2018
Hertford Town 0(0) Royston Town 3(1)

After two thrilling victories in penalty shoot-outs against Cheshunt and St Albans, the Blues were unable to repeat the feat against a very good Royston Town outfit. For forty minutes the Blues had held their own on a difficult surface and might even had taken a lead but once the visitors had struck them on the break in the 42nd minute there was really only ever going to be one winner. The Blues gave all they could but their opponents were in determined mood and added two further second-half goals to secure their progress to the competition’s semi-final.

For the first thirty minutes there was little to separate the sides and it was the Blues who had the better chances. The closest they came to scoring was in the 19th minute when Tommy Wade got behind the Crows’ defence and into a one-on-one with their keeper but his shot from the edge of the box was saved.

Had Tommy scored the game might have taken a different course but after half an hour of the Blues having slightly the better of things, the Crows gradually took over. Two stunning saves from Simon Dent – keeping goal in the absence of the unavailable Charlie Mann – in the 32nd minute kept the game score-less but ten minutes later he was unable to prevent the visitors taking the lead. A long ball forward was headed on and the Royston left-winger raced onto it and finished well.

With their noses in front the visitors took a firm grip on the game and effectively put the tie out of the Blues’ reach with a superb 25-yarder ten minutes into the second period. A third goal midway through the half put the lid on it for the promotion-chasing Evo-Stik South Premier Division club and brought an end to this season’s Senior Cup adventure for the Blues. They had come up against a good team who coped better with the conditions on the night and had deserved their success.

Team: Simon Dent, Ollie Sharman, Luke Foster, Matt Thomson (Charlie Ruff 57’), Jay Lovell, Dan Palmer, Aaron Diveney (Davy Edmee 66’), Michael Toner, Phil Lowen (Guy Hammersley 82’), Tommy Wade and Brett O’Connor.

Subs not used: Charlie Cole and Harry Crook.

Match report by Ray Greenall

Key moments

Goal Goal for Royston Town
Goal Goal for Royston Town
Goal Goal for Royston Town


View 0 new events
80:00 Sub On
Charlie Ruff is substituted on for Hertford Town
80:00 Sub Off
Michael Toner is substituted off for Hertford Town
70:00 Sub On
Guy Hammersley is substituted on for Hertford Town
70:00 Sub Off
Matthew Thomson is substituted off for Hertford Town
67:00 Goal 0 - 3
Goal for Royston Town
60:00 Sub On
Davy Edmee is substituted on for Hertford Town
60:00 Sub Off
Aaron Diveney is substituted off for Hertford Town
55:00 Goal 0 - 2
Goal for Royston Town
End of period 1
43:00 Goal 0 - 1
Goal for Royston Town
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Hertford Town
  • Royston Town
  • 0
  • Goal 43:00'
  • Goal 55:00'
  • Davy Edmee Sub On 60:00'
  • Aaron Diveney Sub Off 60:00'
  • Goal 67:00'
  • Guy Hammersley Sub On 70:00'
  • Matthew Thomson Sub Off 70:00'
  • Charlie Ruff Sub On 80:00'
  • Michael Toner Sub Off 80:00'

Team selection

Dent, Simon Dent, Simon
Sharman, Ollie Sharman, Ollie
Foster, Luke Foster, Luke
Lowen, Phil Lowen, Phil
Lovell, Jay Lovell, Jay
Palmer, Dan Palmer, Dan
Thomson, Matthew Thomson, Matthew
Toner, Michael Toner, Michael
Diveney, Aaron Diveney, Aaron
Wade, Tommy Wade, Tommy
O'Connor, Brett O'Connor, Brett


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors