Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Holwell Sports FC app


Holwell Sports FC - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Gedling Miners Welfare
Holwell Sports
Tue 1 May 19:45 - East Midlands Counties League - Premier League Full time Attendance 52

Holwell battle back, denied a point by penalty save in 89th minute.

Desperate defending by Gedling was the only answer with clearances sent so far out of the ground it was reported that one fell close to Nottingham Castle!

Match Report 01/05/18
Gedling Miners Welfare 3 – 2 Holwell Sports

Holwell fought back during the second half last night, just denied a thrilling draw but for a penalty save by Gedling keeper Dan Brown in the 89th minute.

Holwell had started the game well taking the game to hosts Gedling from the start as they pushed on to the home side to gain early impetus.
It paid off as Gedling back pedalled under the early attacks however the home side did seem dangerous with speedy wingers Dwayne Brown on the right and Abou Sylla on the left giving an early indication of how the home side would play.

Sylla was fouled out left on the wing but the free kick was well handled by Richard Cragg in goal for Holwell. His quick distribution to Reek on the right led to a swift move back to front, and as the ball came into the centre Mark Tinsley used his skill well to control the ball hold off centre half Brett before slotting the ball under Brown to put Holwell in the lead with only 14mins gone.

Gedling came back at Holwell with pace down both flanks as Sylla and Brown tried to get behind the Holwell defence. The visitors did well to limit these attacks but lost Betteridge to a hamstring injury on 22mins which meant a shuffle of the pack with Reek moving to left back to combat Brown’s pace and Shaun Smith coming on in midfield.

Abou Sylla then seemed to take over play as he gave Holwell a torrid time down the left with pace, agility and quick feet. On 25mins he was allowed to waltz through the Holwell defence but guided out towards the left of the eighteen yard box. But as all watched his skills the defence moved towards him. Sylla looked up sending a cross to the back post where Dwayne Brown found himself all alone to tap in for the equaliser.

Gedling were up for it now as Holwell had no answer for Sylla on the left as he again foraged forward. He was not closed down before sending in a fierce shot which Cragg did well to parry but the rebound fell straight to Jack Jepson who fired the rebound into the net for two one to Gedling two goals in two minutes.

Holwell took a bit of time to consolidate and take the sting out of the game doing well to regain some control in midfield but could not seem to break down the home side who went three one up on 40mins as that man Sylla picked up the ball 20yds out steadied before sending a thunderbolt past Cragg who had no chance with the shot. A good goal in any match.

Holwell came back out after the break and again seemed ready for the fight as Shaun Smith had hard luck with an overhead kick on 49mins just shaving Brown’s left hand post.

There seemed a renewed impetus with the visitors as they imposed the midfield with Stevenson and O’Grady winning ball probing at the home defence. Reek was beginning to progress down the left sending in a high cross on 54mins which deceived keeper Brown as it dipped, coming back off the cross bar, there was Connor O’Grady following the ball in to score for the visitors.

It was really game on now as stellar performers in the first half for Gedling seemed to disappear in the second as both Brown on the right and Sylla on the left became less and less effective for the home side. This allowed Holwell to keep pressing and as the game went on they looked the more dangerous with Cowling and Tinsley worrying the home defence.

Ambrose too was beginning to get in the faces of the home side in midfield the victim of some tough tackling but Gedling were on the back foot as Holwell pressed for the equaliser.

Holwell were dominant in the latter stages of the half still probing for the equaliser as Tinsley had half a chance on 69mins but his side foot shot went by Brown’s left hand post.

Desperate defending by Gedling was the only answer with clearances sent so far out of the ground it was reported that one fell close to Nottingham Castle!

The feeling was if Holwell got a break then they would go on to win this but as time ran down both sides were running out of steam when in the 89th minute Connor O’Grady was bundled over in the box referee Fryer pointed to the spot.

Michael Stevenson took the penalty but his shot, right of keeper Brown was at a height and position a tall keeper like he was could get to and he turned the shot away for a corner.

Not to be for Holwell who travelled back wondering how they didn’t manage to get anything from a match the completely dominated in the second half.

Holwell's final four League Matches will be as below There is still no more news on League Cup Semi Final opponents or date.

3rd May Home Teversal FC 7:45 KO
5th May Away Aylestone Park FC 3pm KO
7th May Away Anstey Nomads FC 3pm KO
9th May Home Arnold Town 7:45pm KO

Holwell:- Cragg, B Smith, Bitmead, Woodcock, Betteridge(S Smith), Reek, Stevenson, O’Grady, Ambrose, Cowling(R Cragg), Tinsley.
Not Used Hazeldine

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier League results

Anstey Nomads
Holbrook Sports
Birstall United
Belper United


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Graham Street Prims 40 43
17. Ashby Ivanhoe 40 39
18. Holwell Sports 40 38
19. Borrowash Victoria 40 34
20. Arnold Town 40 19
21. Radcliffe Olympic 40 14
22. Blaby & Whetstone Athletic 0 0

Team sponsors


Club sponsors