Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Ilkeston RUFC app


First XV - Match centre

Worcester Wanderers
G Taylor, S Quinn
J Haigh (2)
J Haigh
Sat 27 Apr 15:00 - Friendly Full time

Elks Defeated In Extra Time

The Elks lost the play off decider for promotion to the National League but only after a huge effort in a thrilling game which eventually required extra time to find a winner.

The Elks travelled down to Worcester cheered on by the Green Army, Dan Taylor was still unavailable but Lewis Taylor returned along with Chris Tipton

Elks kicked off with the slope and a strong wind advantage and made a great start with Adam Corcoran, Chris Tipton and Steve Quinn all carrying well, the ball was recycled and moved right to Greg Taylor who rounded his man and scored after 5 mins, Joel Haigh converted well from the touchline to give Elks the perfect start.0-7

The Elks knocked on from the kick off and Worcester came charging back, the Elks were penalised at the breakdown and Worcester narrowed the gap to 3-7 with the penalty kick after 7 mins.

Worcester Wanderers Vs Ilkeston
56 photos

As expected both sides were full committed with some huge tackles being made on both sides.

Worcester attacked in midfield but were turned over and Jake Lamb cleared, Quinn stole the Worcester line out and the ball was moved right, it was quickly recycled and popped up to Quinn who found a huge gap in the defence to run in the Elks second try after 13 mins, Haigh converted to make it 3-14

Elks again failed to deal with the kick off and Worcester came back again, only a knock on halted any real momentum.

Elks cleared but Worcester ran the ball back and a series of Elks penalties gave them decent territory and a drop goal opportunity which was missed after 25 mins.

Elks then had another good attacking opportunity which resulted in a penalty against Worcester for slowing the ball down, this was kicked by Haigh on 29 mins to stretch the lead to 3-17

Quinn was forced off with a knee injury and replaced by Jonathan Down.

Elks had another attack but again conceded a penalty to allow Worcester to clear, Ryan Mills came on for Ben Wells.

Elks again had a good chance from a 5 metre scrum and broke blind but were again penalised for holding on.

Worcester cleared and created an attack of their own, Elks were again penalised and this time it was a kickable chance which was converted on the stroke of half time to make it 6-17

Worcester started the second half with the wind and slope now in their favour and were soon on the attack, Elks were still giving away penalties and another one was converted on 43 mins to make it 9-17

Worcester came again from the kick off but fortunately play was halted for a forward pass, Elks broke from the scrum but again gave a penalty away at the breakdown. A shot at goal was opted for but missed after 47 mins.

Elks were working hard to make any headway with Down and G Taylor linking well to carry play into the opposition half, Worcester defended well and won a scrum, they attacked from the scrum and broke into the Elks half, another penalty was conceded and this time the referee lost patience and sin binned Mills after 55 mins. The penalty was also kicked to reduce the gap to 12-17

Elks then had their best chance of the second half with L Taylor, G Taylor and Alex Ayres linking well and seemed likely to score but were just in touch.

Penalties were still being conceded by the Elks and Worcester had another good attack deep in the Elks 22. From a line out they caught and drove well and forced their way over on 68 mins, the conversion was missed and the scores were now level at 17-17

Worcester were looking strong and pushed forward looking for the winning score, Elks were defending stoutly but another infringement resulted in Matt McGuire being sin binned on 77 mins, the final 3 mins were tough for the Elks but they held out until full time. 17-17

Extra time would be required to determine a winner, to be fair to Worcester they were looking the stronger side and despite a great effort from the Elks the Worcester defence could not be breached.

Worcester kicked a penalty in the first period of extra time to take a 20-17 lead, they stretched clear in the second period with an converted try to make it 27-17 and this was the final score.

Worcester deserved to win on the day but the Elks put in a fantastic effort although too many penalties were eventually to be their downfall.

It has been a great season overall but a final push is still needed as we face Derby on Tuesday night in the Derbyshire Cup semi final at the Stute.

Come down and cheer the lads on 7.30pm kick off

Key moments

Try Greg Taylor scores for Ilkeston
Conversion Joel Haigh kicks a conversion for Ilkeston
Conversion Joel Haigh kicks a conversion for Ilkeston
Try Steve Quinn scores for Ilkeston
Penalty Joel Haigh kicks a penalty for Ilkeston

Videos and photos

Worcester Wanderers Vs Ilkeston
56 photos
Replay game

As it happened

  • Worcester Wanderers
  • Ilkeston
  • 0
  • Greg Taylor Try 5:00'
  • Joel Haigh Conversion 5:00'
  • Joel Haigh Conversion 13:00'
  • Steve Quinn Try 13:00'
  • Joel Haigh Penalty 29:00'
  • Jonathan Down Sub On 30:00'
  • Steve Quinn Sub Off 30:00'
  • Ben Wells Sub Off 35:00'
  • Dan Hyams Sub On 35:00'
  • Dan Hyams Yellow Card 55:00'
  • Dean Chapman Sub On 65:00'
  • Dan Hyams Sub Off 65:00'
  • Hugh Smith Sub Off 70:00'
  • Hugh Smith Sub On 70:00'
  • Matt McGuire Yellow Card 77:00'

Team selection


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors