Kendal Celtic AFC

Kendal Celtic AFC

Semi Final exit for The Celts

by Richard Edmondson

Kendal Celtic missed out on a final place after a narrow 2-1 semi final defeat to Eden Thistle in The Peter Daws Memorial Shield,

The game was a fast flowing and scrappy encounter with most of the flowing football coming from Eden Thistle.

Celtic found it hard to break down the Eden Thistle defence in the early exchanges of the game, with most of The Celt’s attacks being booted clear by the strong Thistle back line.

This was a method which was very effective putting Celtic on the back foot for most of the first half.

Dan Collins, who was man of the match showed plenty of desire and commitment for the game, working all over the park encouraging the lads on what was a very hot day in Sunny Shap.

Eden were doing there best to stifle Celts midfield with a good passing game, and good movement off the ball with Dan Collins and Gary Bowles working hard to stop their game plan.

The Celts managed on three occasions to get a shot on goal, but were wasteful, as they never put the Eden keeper under any pressure.

Midway through the first half Celtic found themselves a goal down after a poor clearance fell to an Eden midfielder, who’s shot was blocked first with the boot and then with the hand by Dan Butcher.

A very unlucky break for the defender who played well and led the line during the game.

Ten minutes later with the game working in the same vein, Eden used the full width of the wide Shap pitch as a half decent cross from the right wing caught Sam Wilson off balance and he sliced, right footed into his own net, the perfect opportunity to start practicing with his left would have been the better option.

Half time kicked off with the Eden midfield trying to dictate play, credit to Celtic who were digging in on a very hot day.

10 minutes in, a change in midfield with Graeme Blair being brought on to disrupt the Eden flow.

Man marking took the pivotal number 4 out of the game which gave Celtic space too play.

Chances starting to appear with Ollie Mills going very close with an over the shoulder shot which was just wide of the right post.

The game was getting faster and faster with Eden resorting to try and counter with the fast break away as they were pinned in their own half for the rest of the game.

Blair in midfield picked up the ball on the edge of the centre circle unleashing a low shot which whizzed past the keeper in the right corner,

Eden were finding it very difficult now to contain Celtic who had all the momentum with fine work on the right from Jack Thompson resulted in a corner.

A great delivery fell onto the head of Dan Collins who sadly placed his header over the bar.

More pressure was applied and Celtic looked more likely to score but time ran out.

Eden were relieved they had survived, unlucky Celtic, put in a great performance. Eden won’t have played that hard a game too often this season.

Match Report by Malcolm Reekie


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!


Nobody has commented yet. Be the first!


or Register to add a comment

Team Sponsors