Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Kidlington Football Club app


Unbeaten Run Ends

10 months ago By Simon Dickens

Last night we fell to defeat at Sailsbury, here's my on

Sailsbury 6 Kidlington 1

I’m trying hard to come up with some positives after witnessing last night’s debacle but it’s hard as I’ve not seen us turned over like that for many a year.

Too be honest things started brightly for us as a storming run from Lewis Coyle almost brought about an opening goal, however after unleashing a fierce shot he was thwarted by the top of the upright in only the 4th minute.
At this stage no one could have foreseen what was about to unfold, but it soon became apparent. Sailsbury were beginning to work up a head of steam and when a cross from the right was palmed away from goal by keeper Sam Warrell it hit Tommy Castle and rebounded into the Kidlington net for 1 – 0 in the 8th minute.
Sailsbury were on the up now and were beginning to run the visitors defence ragged. Firstly Arron Dawson saw a shot pass wide of the upright before recent signing Owen Howe saw his close range effort saved by Warrell.
The hosts added their second in the 16th minute and after just being denied Owen Howe found a way to goal, though Warrell did get a hand to his shot he couldn’t prevent it spinning into the net for 2 – 0.
Kidlington were doing their best to stem the tide and a decent looking attack was built in the 28th minute. Darius brown was picked out by Elliott Osbourne-Ricketts on the right flank. Speedster Browne ran down the flank before cutting inside and laying the ball on to Mark Janes, Janes shot but home keeper Charlie Searle saved well.
This was only a small rest bite and Salisbury were soon on the attack again. The host next goal owed much to a defensive blunder, Ben Brown tried to clear a ball out from defence, however he struck it straight at Tom Franklin and the ball bounce off Franklin straight to Stuart Green who had a free run in on goal, Green then finished smartly for 3 – 0 in the 34th minute.
Right on half time the hosts added their 4th goal. A really good flowing move ended with Lewis Benson having time on the edge of the Kidlington area to pick his spot, Benson curled a great shot into the far corner giving warrell no chance, so 4 – 0 at half time.
During the interval manager Julian McCalmon replaced the ineffective Duran Martin with Roger James and hoped for some sort of reaction from his players.
In fact that’s what he got at the start of the half as Kidlington came out all guns blazing. In the 48th minute Lewis Coyle saw a free kick saved by Searle before Mark Janes pulled a goal back in the 50th minute. From a Lewis coyle corner Janes rose highest and powered home a header for 4 – 1.
Shortly after this youngster Harry Whitehead came on to replace Darius Browne and in the 64th minute with Kidlington still trying their best to pull themselves back into the game were really unlucky. Roger James stormed down the flack before crossing low and hard, Whitehead came racing onto the ball and shot from around 12 yards out, however the ball hit keeper Searle and then bounced off the inside of the post before it was cleared!
Any chance Kidlington had of getting back into the game was extinguished in the 73rd minute. A cross from the right was met by the head of Stuart Green and his flick saw the ball flash into the net for 5 – 1.
Kidlington though didn’t give in and had a goal ruled out in the 77th minute for off side, then Janes saw his shot finish on top of the net after being put in by Harry Whitehead.
On 82 minutes Kidlington’s Elliott Osbourne-Ricketts was given his marching orders for an alleged stamp on his opponent, after he had been initially fouled.
Sam Warrell made a fantastic save from Owen Howe in the closing stages, but not to be denied he netted their 6th goal in the added time firing home past a stranded Warrell.
That was the end of the game and Kidlington had been well and truly turned overturned by what many people consider the favourites for this year’s title.
After the match Kidlington Manager Jules McCalmon was not blaming his players for the defeat and he said;
“What happened yesterday was in no way my players fault, I got it wrong and we were punished! Fair play to Salisbury who took advantage of the mistakes I made and they deserved there win, me and my players will be working as hard as ever to learn from this and make sure it was a one off result, we’re all eager put things right!”

Team – Warrell, E.Odhiambo, Castle, Brown, Franklin, Gabbidon, Coyle, Osbourne-Ricketts, Janes, Browne (Whitehead 58), Martin (James 45).
Subs Unused – Organ, Quainton& McMahon
Attendance 401

Updated 11:28 - 6 Dec 2017 by Simon Dickens

Where next?

Coach To Wimborne KFC are running a coach this Tomorrow (9-12-17) for our league match at Wimborne on
Away Tonight At Sailsbury We travel down to south Wiltshire later today for this league match, here's our team on


Loading comments

Up your game with easyfundraising

Sat 20 Oct
League 15:00

News sponsor


Club sponsors