Just Be A Child
We're supporting the Just Be A Child charity by collecting books for a new school library.
You can keep up to date on the charity's progress by visiting www.justbeachild.com.
If you have unwanted childrens books, get in touch with club secretary Clare - email@example.com
Plans for 2017
- 22 January 2017 - JBAC after-Christmas get together at 3pm in the Old Town Stevenage. Come and join us if you can. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org for location.
- 23-29 January 2017 - we are sorting out our first lots of books in anticipation of the influx of books from schools. If you can spare an hour or few, please email email@example.com
- 1-14 February 2017 - we are heading to Kenya for a bit of winter sun. We plan to visit a safari and a marine park as well as organise a game or two with our communities. Please come, it will be fun.
- 2 March 2017 - International Book Day - we are looking for as many schools in and around of Stevenage to participate. If you would like to take part, or know a school that might, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3-7 March 2017 - we will need people helping us collect the books from our participating schools. If you have a car and can spare some time, please email email@example.com
Just Be A Child have sent their second container out to Kenya... more news to follow...
Up and running
The first library in Ukunda, Kenya, is complete and has over 200 active members of all ages.
A video of the library is here: https://youtu.be/6LC1V8crwxk
Sunday 11 January 2015
Thanks to Mark Bonnick and family for their kind donation.
This brings our total to 1,373 books (50% of the books collected!) plus dozens of games and packs of pencils, pens etc. A fantastic effort so far!
Monday 22 December 2014
Thanks to Claire Freeborn and the children at Sherrardswood school in Welwyn who donated a car full of books and games.
Monday 15 December 2014
Thanks to Miles (aged 13), Frankie (12) and Mia McLaughlin (seven) who had a big sort through their books and made a generous donation.
Our thanks also to a mystery benefactor who delivered two bags of books to the first team's recent game at Knebworth Recreation Ground.
Monday 1 December 2014
Thanks to Renata & Steve Crome of Knebworth and Diane Hallett and Pirton Methodist Church for their donations.
Following the recent article in The Comet newspaper, we're delighted to say donations of childrens books are still coming in to support the new library in Kenya.
Knebworth residents Renata and Steve Crome were clearing out their children's old books and kindly donated them to the appeal.
Further afield, Diane Hallett and the Pirton Methodist Church have donated books collected from the village.
Thank you to everyone who has helped so far - please keep them coming.
Sunday 2 November 2014
Throughout October our members were busy rounding up their spare books to donate to local charity Just Be A Child, as they look to create a library at a new school in the town of Ukunda in Kenya.
Pictured are Thomas (U11 Tigers) and Sam Westcott (U9 Leopards) with their generous donation.
Thanks to everyone that donated and our club secretary Clare Biddle who co-ordinated this for us.