Lancaster City FC Official Website

John Bagguley 1946-2012 Obituary

John Bagguley 1946-2012 Obituary

John Bagguley, one of the leading figures in the development of Lancaster City F.C. for more than thirty years, has sadly passed away at the age of 65.

John was born in 1946 in Stoke and was a life long fan of the Potters and lived his dream watching them at Wembley last May where in his words, they were robbed.

He moved to Lancaster in 1971 having seen a gap in the market for his finance business.

John joined the Board of Directors in the early 1980’s which ideally combined his strong passion for both football and trains with Giant Axe situated alongside Lancaster Station.

Over the years John served the club in many roles as a Director, Vice Chairman, Chairman, President and ultimately Life President and oversaw the rise of the club from the North West Counties League to its highest level in the Conference North.

During his time as Chairman, John took tremendous pride in the club’s great success in the middle 1990’s when they won the NPL Unibond League Championship for the only time in the Club’s history as well as winning the Presidents Cup and League Cups before moving up to the role of President.

John also figured prominently as a Vice President of the Northern Premier League that is known as the Evo-Stik League, formerly the Unibond League and headed the financial commitee.

John can well be described as a self made man who threw all his energy into anything with which he was involved, but this never prevented him from living life to the full!

His Provincial Finance Company began in Lancaster and he had offices in Dalton Square and latterly on Yorkshire Street in Morecambe.

Current Chairman of Lancaster City Mick Hoyle said “The Directors and all at Giant Axe are absolutely devastated by John’s sudden death and wish to pass on our condolences to his wife Joanne, children Christopher and Gemma and all his family.”

John was a large part of Lancaster City’s recent history and the club would not be in the position they are, had it not been for John’s efforts at a time when it looked as if the Club was in danger of going out of business in 2007, his drive and enthusiasm and determination ensured the club’s survival.

He will never be forgotten.

Details regarding funeral arrangements will be posted later.

6 comments

Last comment over 2 years ago

• Glen Cooper
  • Horsfield  Martin
  • Steve Hobson
  • Dave Cunliffe
  • Kevin Begley

6 Comments

or Register to add a comment

1. Glen Cooper over 2 years ago

Martin - you were one of the best, mate, don't worry about that!

2. Horsfield Martin over 2 years ago

Just heard the sad sad news about 'Uncle John'! Of course he wasn't my real uncle, in fact Mick Hoyle always said he was my adopted father! He was the man that put Lancaster City back on the map, and alongside Dick Danson instrumental in me travelling up the M6 to play for the club! I might not have been the best player ever to represent City, but it was best times I had, whetherplaying for the club or after match shared with John and all other tram and commitee, or socially, when the real John came to life! He was a real gent and whenever I travel past Lancaster, a little smile transmits itself and you can put that down to a Great man, JB! Rest in Peace mate, (Uncle), see you Monday!
    Martin Horsfield, Lancaster City 1987-1993

3. Steve Hobson over 2 years ago

I was extremely sorry to hear of John's passing. I have known him for several years through Lancaster City FC, and the part he played in League affairs. He was always available to advise me during some particularly trying times in my tenure as Chairman of Rossendale United, and throughout my involvement with the League Management Committee.
    John's contribution to football has been enormous, all given freely and without shouting about it. I am sure you people at Lancaster will miss him most however his passing will leave a huge void in the non-league administration world too.
    My wife Marilyn and I would like to offer our condolances to his family and friends at this sad time.

4. Dave Cunliffe over 2 years ago

Sad news indeed, we chatted often at away games and I always enjoyed our conversations. I didn't know John well but his heart was in the game and it is difficult to imagine I won't see him when we next play away. Moreen and I should like to send our condolences to his family at this difficult time
    Moreen & Dave Cunliffe

5. Kevin Begley over 2 years ago

A very tragic and untimely loss. I wasnt a personal friend of his,but have been in his company at events and also chatted with him about football in his work office on occasions-only last month being the latest. And every time he was very socialable,homourous and knowledgeable. one of life's really good guys and will be a big miss. My condolences too to his family on this really shocking news. I also am better for knowing you. RIP John Kevin

6. Glen Cooper over 2 years ago

Sad loss indeed. Was privileged to have known John and spent quite a few great lunches and evenings in his fantastic company.
    Lived life to the full and good on him for that.
    True gent - always a smile, witty dry humour and lovely bloke.
    Condolences to all his family and friends who will miss one of life's stars.
    RIP John - better for having known you.

Glen