British Aerospace - or De Havilland as it was then known - first established a factory in Bolton in 1936 off Spa Road, with the Lostock site beginning development in the following year as the government attempted to spread it's armaments industries around the country with a view to the coming war against Germany. The factory was fully on stream in 1938, but even in 1937 a series of friendlies were played using various venues around the town.
In 1938 an opportunity arose to join the BDCA 2nd Division when Knowles Limited dropped and the option was quickly taken as we took over the fixtures. Initially, the club shared the ground at Bee Hive Mill with Brunswick Meths of the Horwich Churches League (behind the Greenhalgh's factory now visible from the current ground) - an arrangement that proved mutually beneficial as new changing facilities and sightscreens were installed. The ground was well established and well appointed having first been laid in the 1890's, and indeed was in use right up until the 1970's when Greenhalgh's buried it under tarmac to create their current car park. the club won 3 of it's first 5 games but that was to be the end of their success as no further games were won and they finished next to bottom.The lowest point of the season came when dismissed for just 13 by All Souls - a score that is still the lowest ever by the 1st XI.
The following year saw two teams fielded for the first time with the 1st's on the Bee Hive but the 2nd XI on Leverhulme Park. It was back to 1 side in 1940 in the BDCA 3rd division as the war took effect, but after winning the first 4 games the side was withdrawn, and the following 2 years saw just friendlies being played. In 1943, we were back in the 2nd division with our home ground on Leverhulme Park (the Bee Hive for some reason not being available) and then the following year we returned to the Bee Hive ground. Efforts to find land for the sports club around this time proved fruitless with areas under consideration including Doffcocker, and the site of the Ingersoll Rand building on Chorley New Road.
There were contrasting fortunes on the field around this time with the first ever total of over 200 being recorded in 1944 against Tootals (212) with 3rd place in the league but 2 disappointing defeats in semi finals.
With the Bee Hive unavailable in 1945 we were fortunate to obtain the use of Daisy Hill's ground as they didn't field any teams that season, and after much hard work to restore the ground enjoyed a happy season there. The following season Daisy Hill ran one team and the ground was shared with them, and then in 1947 they decided to run 2 teams so we were homeless and sadly forced to withdraw from the league due to lack of a ground.
There followed a period of 7 years where only friendlies and inter factory games were played on local grounds, but it wasn't all doom and gloom as land behind what is now Barnstormers was obtained and work commenced to lay playing fields for the Sports Club. Work started in 1951 and by 1954 the fields were ready for use and so to the next chapter in the club's history.