Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Loughborough Dynamo FC


1st Team - Match centre

Loughborough Dynamo
Basford United
Mon 1 Jan 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - The EVO-STIK South Full time Attendance 145

Basford Continue Their Progress to Promotion

Dynamo opened 2018 with a 3-1 home defeat on New Year’s Day

Runaway divisional leaders Basford United left the Nanpantan Sports Ground with all three points from a match that was marred by a potentially serious injury to Basford midfielder Matt Thornhill.

Basford came into the match unbeaten in the league, with ten wins and a draw on their travels so far this season, but Dynamo matched the Nottingham side in the opening stages. The first twenty minutes were a midfield encounter, the only threat to either goal coming in the eighteenth minute when a slack Dynamo pass let Basford front man Kieran Wells in, but Jack Andrews was able to clear the ball for a corner. From the resulting corner Wells was able to get to the ball first, but his glancing header went wide.

The match changed rapidly in the twenty-fourth minute. Good play by Dynamo saw Luke Thorogood set up Karl Demidh, but the Dynamo forward’s shot from a good position was saved by goalkeeper Saul Deeney’s legs. Basford went straight down the pitch and, after a swift build up, the ball reached Wells who forced the ball home to give the visitors the lead.

Two minutes later Dynamo had a chance to equalise when a cross from the Dynamo right found Sam Thorpe at the far post, but the number 9 was only able to prod the ball goalwards. Deeney cleared the ball away, Referee Richard Eley waving away Dynamo’s appeals that the ball had cross the line.

Then came the match-marring incident. Thornhill and Dynamo’s Louis Keenan both went in for a 50-50 challenge in midfield. Keenan came out of the challenge limping, but it was quickly apparent that Thornhill was in a distressed condition. Both clubs’ medical teams came on the pitch to assist the player. Referee Eley suspended the match, which was followed by the arrival of a paramedic and almost immediately afterwards by the Air Ambulance landing on the pitch.

After a delay of more than twenty minutes Thornhill was able to be helped off the pitch without the need to be taken by air, but was examined extensively by medics in the Basford dressing room before being taken by road ambulance to hospital, substitute Deon Meikle taking his team mate’s position in midfield.

Seven minutes after the match resumed Dynamo gave away a second goal. Loose play in the Dynamo defence saw a back pass to James Martin put the Dynamo goalkeeper under pressure from Fernando Bell-Toxtle. Martin lost the ball to the Basford number 7 who doubled the visitors lead.

In the forty-first minute Martin came to Dynamo’s rescue, and ensured the home side only had a two goal deficit at half-time, making a fine save from Basford left back Connor Bartie.

Five minutes into the second half Basford as good as sealed all three points when Robert Duffy’s header was partially saved by Martin, but the ball rolled over the goal line. Just after the ball crossed the line for the goal A Basford player fell on Martin. Dynamo appealed for a foul and Referee Eley conferred with his assistant, who confirmed that the ball had indeed crossed the line prior to the goalkeeper coming in contact with a Basford player.

In the sixty-third minute good play between Thorogood and Demidh saw the latter’s centre held by Deeney at the second attempt, under pressure from Dynamo Captain Ash Hodgkinson. The sixty-sixth minute saw Wells heading wide from a good position, before another high ball, this time from Duffy, was well held by Martin under pressure.

In the seventy-first minute an in swinging free kick from Demidh was met by Alistair Smith at the far post, but the midfielder’s header skidded off his head and went wide. Back came Basford, and Martin made a good save from Bell-Toxtle.

As the match entered its closing stages goalmouth activity became sporadic, but Dynamo pulled a goal back in the eighty-eighth minute. Demidh’s powerful left foot shot hit the bar, then the stanchion inside the goal, before bouncing down and away. Deeney seized the ball, but the Referee’s Assistant confirmed the ball had indeed crossed the goal line.

The final action of the game came in the third minute of added time when Demidh turned and hit a low shot saved by Deeney, confirming Basford as 3-1 winners.

5 sports clubs amongst winners in the Jewson Building Better Communities competition.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other The EVO-STIK South results

Gresley FC
Stocksbridge Park Steels
Sheffield FC


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
12. Peterborough Sports 42 51
13. Spalding United 42 50
14. Loughborough Dynamo 42 49
15. Sheffield FC 42 45
16. Belper Town 42 45
17. Gresley FC 42 43
18. Kidsgrove Athletic 42 42

Team sponsors


Club sponsors