Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Loughborough Dynamo FC


1st Team - Match centre

Loughborough Dynamo
Sat 2 Sep 15:00 - The Emirates FA Cup 17-18 Full time Attendance 262

Dynamo Slip to Emirates FA Cup Defeat

Loughborough Dynamo slipped to a 3-1 defeat against Stourbridge FC at the Nanpantan Sports Ground in the First Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup.

This was the first time Dynamo have played at this stage of the competition for several years, and after a close first half the Evo-Stik League Premier Division side proved too strong for Dynamo in the second forty-five minutes. Stourbridge, on the other hand, reached the third round of the competition last season and went out to Football League Division 2 side Wycombe Wanderers.

The first half was goal-less, with goal opportunities few and far between. Stourbridge’s Danny O’Callaghan drove a fourth minute free kick wide of the Dynamo goal without troubling home goalkeeper Charlie Taylor. Four minutes later Taylor was called into action when Ryan Rowe broke clear of the Dynamo back line to go one-on-one with Taylor, Dynamo’s Panamanian Under 20 international goalkeeper produced a fine save in blocking Rowe’s low powerful shot.

Dynamo gained a free kick near the Stourbridge penalty area in the tenth minute, but Louis Keenan’s free kick eluded players of both sides. A minute later sloppy play by Dynamo in midfield let Jordan Archer break away, but a fine recovering tackle by Carl Sibson cleared the danger.
In the twenty-first minute Dynamo front man Ash Hodgkinson got on the end of a Dynamo free kick, but headed over. Five minutes later O’Callaghan produced a hooked volley from a Stourbridge corner, but his shot went just wide.

As half time approached the goal efforts dwindled, with two just before half time being the nearest either side had to a goalmouth. Dynamo front man Edilson Antonio headed just wide in the forty-third minute, O’Callaghan producing a good header two minutes later which was saved by Taylor.

If the first half was goal-less, that all changed swiftly after the restart. In the forty-ninth minute Taylor produced an outstanding save from O’Callaghan’s header to keep the sides level, but three minutes later Stourbridge took the lead. A Stourbridge shot was blocked, but Dynamo failed to clear the ball and Leon Broadhurst scored from close in, shooting low past Taylor at his near post.

Buoyed by this Stourbridge started to dominate proceedings, looking quite capable of extending their lead. Dynamo tried to hit back straight away and Edilson turned his shot just wide from a corner.

Stourbridge doubled their lead in the sixtieth minute. Following a good move down the visitors left, the ball was pulled back to Broadhurst who drove home. This put the match out of Dynamo’s reach, as this second half had seen very little threat to the Stourbridge goal.

In the seventy-second minute Antonio’s shot from outside the area was held by Stourbridge goalkeeper Matthew Gould at the second attempt, then a minute later Keenan’s centre from the Dynamo left was deflected to Luke Smithson, but the Dynamo wide man’s volley was straight at Gould.

The seventy-sixth minute saw Stourbridge add their third goal when substitute Josh Cooke collected the ball on the Stourbridge left, cut in and fired an outstanding shot high beyond Taylor’s left hand for the best goal of the game.

Five minutes later another Stourbridge substitute, Brandon Hague, saw his powerful shot go just over the Dynamo crossbar.

Dynamo did pull a goal back in the eighty-fourth minute. A ball into the Stourbridge area and ran loose, Antonio latching on to it and scoring with a powerful left foot shot.

Stourbridge still looked in a comfortable position and nearly added to their lead in the first minute of added time when Josh Green’s low powerful shot from an angle hit Taylor’s left hand post and ran to safety.

Referee Chris Reeson played a further four minutes of added time, Stourbridge looking secure at the back to secure their win and progress in the Emirates FA Cup.

After the game Loughborough Dynamo Manager Peter Ward commented “I was encouraged by our first half display, but disappointed to go behind early in the second half, Stourbridge’s first goal was a gift. In the second half Stourbridge were much the better side. We lacked a cutting edge up front. We’ve still a problem with some players not fully fit due to injury. A boost will be the return of our forward Karl Demidh, the last match of his suspension was today’s game”.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors