Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Maidenhead United app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Maidenhead United
Chesham United
Chesham United win 4 - 5 on penalties. Tue 9 Jan 19:45 - Cup Full time Attendance 185

Generals march on

Penalties decide Ches stalemate

Maidenhead's Berks and Bucks Senior Cup defence failed at the first hurdle after Evostick South Premier Division side Chesham United came from behind three times to eventually edge the Magpies out of the competition after a penalty shoot out.

There were Maidenhead debuts for youngsters Josh Masters and Rory Merrick who filled the full back positions with aplomb whilst fellow development squad member Nathan Minhas made his inaugural first team appearance as a second half substitute. Veteran Kieron Drake made a first Maidenhead appearance since playing in the quarter-final of this competition at Marlow last season in a side captained by James Mulley. And the Magpies dominated the opening exchanges of this cup tie. The luckless Emmanuel was alert to a defensive mix up but was denied by the legs of visiting 'keeper Clayton before Adrian Clifton gave Maidenhead the lead inside the opening ten minutes, slotting home after being set up by the hard-working Emmanuel. Any thoughts that United might coast to victory were dispelled however as the visitors gave as good as they got in the remainder of the half with Murphy and McGleish heading chances over the bar from dangerous corners and Ryan Peters - operating in the centre of the defence alongside Maximilian Kilman - clearing from his own goalline.

Maidenhead led at the break but the visitors were deservedly level after the hour mark which prompted something of a goal bonanza in the last half hour of this entertaining match. Ravi Shamsi cut into the Maidenhead half and smashed the ball into the top corner giving Drake no chance. Parity didn't last long before Nana Owusu beat Clayton with a low effort from the edge of the area but a third goal in the space of five minutes saw the Generals equalise again when Toomey bundled home after Drake was seemingly impeded. There was more drama to come with Clayton seeing red when upending Owusu who was put clean through. The resultant freekick taken by the busy Maidenhead winger was deflected past replacement goalkeeper Al-Droubi who would go on to have a decisive say in the final outcome. Firstly however a Maidenhead lead was wiped out for a third time with a swift response in the form of a swerving strike by former Magpie Jefferson Louis, on off the bench for Chesham. And the ten man visitors should have won it in normal time with Drake denying Shamsi before young Merrick prevented a certain goal from Swales. The last of the action saw Bates fail to hit the target when well placed to score and in accordance with the rules of this competition the match moved straight to a penalty shoot out.

At the Bell Street End the otherwise excellent Owusu saw his effort saved low to the 'keepers right by Al-Droubi and with Clifton, Peters, Kilman and Comley otherwise converting for Maidenhead that man Louis stepped up to make it a successful five from five for Chesham who will visit Didcot Town in the quarter-finals.

MAGPIES: Drake, Emmanuel (sub Minhas 69), Comley, Owusu, Masters, Merrick, Clifton, Upward, Kilman, Peters, Mulley (sub Walters 79).

Subs not used: Keetch, Laflin, Pentney.

GOALS: Clifton (9), Owusu (63, 78)

GENERALS: Clayton, Smalldone, Dhillon, Bevans, Murphy, Green (sub Al-Droubi), Shamsi, Bates, Toomey (sub Louis), Bush, McGleish (sub Swales).

Sub not used: Locke.

GOALS: Shamsi (60), Toomey (65), Louis (81).

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors