Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Maidenhead United app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Maidenhead United
Stockport County
Sat 3 Feb 15:00 - Cup Full time Attendance 855

Tuesday Trophy replay awaits Magpies after 1-1 draw.

No winner decided in fight for place in quarter final

Ryan Upward's 58th minute strike cancelled out an early opener for the Hatters as Maidenhead drew with Stockport County in the third round of the FA Trophy.

Despite repeated efforts in the second half, the Magpies were unable to score a vital second goal to avoid a replay at Edgeley Park this Tuesday night.

The visitors started well, opening the scoring in the 8th minute after Gary Stopforth's low cross found Matty Warburton whose shot deflected past Carl Pentney and into the roof of the net.

The Magpies, who have struggled in the opening 10-15 minutes in recent weeks, increased the pressure in search of an equaliser and were unlucky to score before the break. A fantastic save from Pentney spurred a strong few minutes for United, with Ryan Upward and Jake Goodman unlucky not to find the target as well as James Comley, whose 20-yard screamer was tipped wide by an in-form Ben Hinchcliffe.

Penalty calls for handball and a trip on Comley were dismissed, the latter of which saw the midfielder receive a yellow card after referee Samuel Allison believed Comley to have dived.

Adrian Clifton replaced Comley at the start of the second half, as United continued to pile on the pressure on a tiring Stockport XI.

A chance for Sean Marks flew past the post 10 minutes into the second half, but United's big break came only a couple of minutes later when Alan Massey's header from Sam Barratt's free kick was only cleared as far as Upward, who in turn volleyed home before joining the fans in celebration.

An astonishing block by Harry Pritchard prevented the visitors from retaking the lead on the hour mark, who found very few opportunities to find a winner as the Magpies ramped up the assault on the County goal. Jason Oswell's strike, which was again well saved by Pentney, was the only other major chance for the visitors to snatch a winner.

Fresh legs in the form of Jake Hyde and Maximilian Kilman helped to spark life into the Magpies, who were unfortunate not to secure a winning goal in front of the Canal End after constant attacks on Hinchcliffe's net. Five minutes of stoppage time were not enough, almost literally as the ball finally crossed the goal line a matter of moments after the referee's final whistle.

The 1-1 draw means that the two sides will face each other this Tuesday at Edgeley Park for a place in the quarter finals of the FA Trophy, before the Magpies return to York Road on Saturday to face Torquay in the hope of avenging a 4-0 defeat suffered earlier in the season. We hope to see you there!

Pentney, Clerima, Steer, Odametey, Massey ©, Comley (Clifton, 45), Marks (Kilman, 87), Barratt (Hyde, 74), Pritchard, Upward, Goodman
Unused subs: Owusu, Smith

Stockport County
Hinchcliffe, Cowan, Duxbury, Winter ©, Smalley, O'Halloran, Thomas, Stopforth (Dixon, 74), Oswell, Warburton (Clarke, 45), Stephenson (West, 85)
Unused subs: Ormson, Brazel

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors