Marine Football Club

Marine Football Club

Marine 0-2 Northwich Victoria

by Dave McMillan

Northwich Victorious at Arriva...

Match report by Dave McMillan

Marine went down to their first defeat of the season on Tuesday night, visitors Northwich Victoria winning the game by two goals to nil at the Arriva Stadium.

Nine points from twelve is an excellent return but there is no hiding from the fact that this was a disappointing display from Marine, who didn’t look like scoring all night against an efficient Trickies outfit.

Northwich posed more threat coming forward, particularly from set pieces with long throws being a potent weapon and fully deserved the points without ever looking likely to score a bagful.

Marine were unchanged from the team which won handsomely on Saturday, Aaron Rey having probably their best chance inside the opening minute when latching on to a ball over the top, Ben Hinchcliffe blocking as he came off his line.

Vics were soon gaining the upper hand with a series of free kicks and corners, Nathan Woolfe firing one effort high and wide from outside of the area.

It was no real surprise when the visitors took the lead after 20 minutes, a throw being half cleared to Michael Clarke, his low shot going under McMahon from 12 yards.

Northwich looked more likely to score again with an Armstrong piledriver deflected for a corner, Marine having a couple of forays with Stephen Johnson’s dangerous cross cleared and then Rey miscontrolling Joe Fowler’s chip, Hinchcliffe gathering the loose ball.

Right on half time it was 2-0, a deep free kick being headed back across goal for Dominic Collins to head on to the post, the ball falling for Clarke to rap home the rebound.

Marine began the second half brightly with Andy Fowler’s run forcing a corner, Matty Brown heading just wide from a short routine.

Vics had a couple of half chances before Johnson went close for Marine, going on a good run in to the box with his shot pushed away at full stretch by the keeper.

Collins had a good header turned over the bar by McMahon as the Cheshire side pressed again, substitute Thomas Moore replying with a jabbed volley which missed the target.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wayne Riley might have added a third late on with a low shot saved by McMahon but 2-0 was probably a fair scoreline on a night to forget for Marine.

Marine: Ryan McMahon (Cap), Sam Barnes, John Shaw, Matty Brown, Dave Roberts, Joe Fowler, Andy Fowler, Paul Henry (Paul Lundon 58), Aaron Rey (Thomas Moore 67), Stephen Johnson, Louis Barnes (Neil Harvey 37).

Unused subs: Ian Latham, Darren Byers. Cautions: Henry, Johnson.

Northwich Victoria: Ben Hinchcliffe, Cliff Moyo, Lewis Short, Dominic Collins, Ian Kearney (Cap), Kyle Armstrong, Wayne Riley, Michael Roddy, Michael Clarke, Ryan Wade (Paul Ennis 67), Nathan Woolfe.

Unused subs: David Fitzpatrick, Adam Sumner, Tony Evans, Joe Comozzi. Cautions: Collins, Woolfe.

Referee: Mr. James Mainwaring (Bury); Assistants Mr. Daniel Costello (Oldham), Mr. Karl Bardsley (Oldham).

Attendance: 415.

Other Premier Division Results

Stafford Rangers 0 1 Chorley Att. 471
Buxton 1 2 Rushall Olympic Att. 209
North Ferriby United 2 1 Stocksbridge Park Steels Att. 194
Marine 0 2 Northwich Victoria Att. 415
Frickley Athletic 0 2 Matlock Town Att. 275
Kendal Town 2 1 Whitby Town Att. 206
Chasetown 4 4 Nantwich Town Att. 269