Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Marine Football Club


First - Match centre

Warrington Town
Mon 28 Aug 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - The EVO-STIK Premier Division Full time Attendance 444

Marine 0-4 Warrington Town

Mariners pay penalty as Wire prevail at MTA...

Marine fell to a home defeat in the Bank Holiday clash with Warrington Town at the Marine Travel Arena in a game which was much more closely-contested than the final scoreline suggests. The Mariners' starting eleven remained unchanged as they sought their third win in the space of seven days, but the visitors certainly deserved their victory, clinically taking their chances to punish Tommy Lawson's side at every opportunity.

On an atypically warm and sunny Bank Holiday Monday at a pristine MTA, the opening exchanges provided little in the way of goalmouth action as the two teams battled for early supremacy.

The Mariners managed the first sight of goal on 11 minutes as Danny Mitchley forced a corner which Vinny Bailey swung over from the left, Adam Hughes connecting with a header from 8 yards which was directed straight at Town 'keeper McMillan who held securely.

Warrington threatened five minutes later as a low free-kick from their left evaded veteran striker Gray's run, the ball rolling a yard wide of the far post to the Mariners' relief.

James Murray's bright start to the season continued as he showed pace to win his side another corner on the left flank, Bailey's delivery this time seeing McMillan coming off his line but failing to collect, the purple-primped custodian's blushes being spared as Michael Grogan's header dropped a yard over the Crosender Road crossbar.

Wire winger Hughes then stole a yard on Peter Wylie and advanced into the box towards the byline, but rather than crossing for Gray the ex-Worcester man took a tumble as Wylie recovered, referee Smith rightly waving away Hughes' appeals for a spot-kick but failing to caution the winger for simulation.

Town's next sight of goal came from a free-kick 25 yards out which Williams curled around the Marine wall but Ben Barnes was well-positioned to make a routine save.

On the half-hour mark visiting left-back McKeown's misdirected header allowed Mitchley to hit a sweetly-struck half-volley from the right side of the area which brought a flying parry from McMillan, the Town defence able to clear to safety.

An evenly-contested opening third of the game was punctuated on 33 minutes as the lively Vassallo forced a corner on the Warrington right. The ball was played deep beyond the far post for the unmarked Baker to volley the ball back across the box, ex-Chorley striker Hine on hand to sidefoot home from six yards.

The Mariners sought to respond quickly and were unfortunate four minutes later as Mitchley held the ball up well before finding Bailey, the midfielder's curling low effort from 22 yards beating McMillan but not the post, Scott Bakkor unable to force the rebound home as a blue-shirted defender made a vital block.

The ebb and flow continued as Hughes troubled the home rearguard once again, this time maintaining his balance to step inside a challenge and roll the ball past Barnes as the 'keeper advanced. However, James Short's alert defending saw him make a timely intervention as he raced back to clear off the line and prevent a second Town goal.

Three minutes before the break the Mariners were dealt a blow as another poor header in the visiting defence gifted Mitchley a shooting opportunity, the home skipper volleying high and wide from 25 yards before unfortunately limping out of the action to be replaced by George Hassall.

In first half stoppage time Hine's trickery won his side a corner on their right, the delivery of which somehow evaded everyone as it flew across the six yard box. Ex-Mariner Liam Goulding retrieved the ball beyond the far post and sent in a cross which Barnes palmed to the edge of the box, Williams' sweetly-struck volley flying a yard or two wide of target as Warrington lead by the solitary goal at the break.

Five minutes into the second period the Whites created half-chance to level matters as a ball into the Town box saw Billy Smart win an aerial challenge, the ball dropping for Michael Brewster on the edge of the 'd' but the midfielder screwed his left-footed shot tamely wide of goal.

The visitors' tactics were apparent as they were sat noticeably deeper than in the opening period, inviting Marine onto them and looking to break quickly. With another former Mariner Paul Carden at the helm, the Blues' plan proved effective and just before the hour a rapid counter-attack saw Hughes advance and his well-struck low shot swerved inches wide of Barnes' left-hand upright.

On 62 minutes the visitors duly doubled their advantage as Hughes was tripped by Barnes as he broke into the Marine area, the stopper being cautioned for the foul before Williams slotted home the resulting spot-kick despite Barnes guessing correctly.

Warrington's third arrived six minutes later through another quick counter, a poor pass in midfield gifting the visitors possession before a ball down the middle allowed Hughes to go one-on-one with Barnes, the Town man defying gravity in fine style to slot home with the minimum of fuss.

The Whites sought a consolation as the game entered the final ten minutes as Murray, who was his side's brightest performer on the day, took on McKeown before cutting inside and firing in a daisy-cutter from just outside the box which McMillan held securely.

However it was Wire who added to their tally with a fourth goal of the afternoon eight minutes from time. Yet another ex-Mariner in the form of substitute Joe Mwasile showed his attacking ambition and cashed in as he beat Wylie on the left side of the box, the Marine right-back tugging Mwasile's shirt and referee Smith awarding the second spot-kick of the contest. Williams despatched the opportunity from twelve yards with aplomb, giving Barnes no chance despite the 'keeper again guessing correctly.

McKeown's ambitious 35-yard effort then typified his side's confidence but Barnes was able to clutch comfortably, before Marine's next attack saw Wylie's teasing low cross failing to receive the final touch it merited from a teammate as the ball rolled wide of the far post.

Substitute James Edgar's well-struck shot from 25 yards was hoovered up by McMillan at the second attempt as time elapsed, Warrington running out worthy winners to go top of the EvoStik Premier table after six games.

The Mariners now turn their attention to the Emirates FA Cup as they entertain Ashton United in the 1st Qualifying Round at the Marine Travel Arena next Saturday, ko 3pm.

Marine: Ben Barnes, Peter Wylie, James Short, Adam Hughes, Michael Grogan, Billy Smart, Scott Bakkor (James Edgar 54), Michael Brewster, Danny Mitchley (c) (George Hassall 44), Vinny Bailey, James Murray.

Unused subs: Kenny Strickland, John Shaw, Kisimba Kisimba. Cautions: Smart, Barnes, Grogan, Brewster.

Warrington Town: Tony McMillan, Liam Goulding, Rory McKeown, Caleb Richards, James McCarten (c), Philip Baker, Josh Hine, Sean Williams, Tony Gray (Ged Kinsella 83), Dylan Vassallo (Aboubacar Sanogo 78), Connor Hughes (Joe Mwasile 74).

Unused subs: Adam Carden, Ben Ashcroft. Cautions: none.

Goals: Warrington Town; Hine (33), Williams (pen 63, 82), Hughes (68).

Referee: Mr Lewis Smith
Assistants: Mr Matthew McQuillan and Mr Liam Ockleshaw

Attendance: 444

5 sports clubs amongst winners in the Jewson Building Better Communities competition.


View 0 new events
54:00 Sub On
James Edgar is substituted on for Marine
54:00 Sub Off
Scott Bakkor is substituted off for Marine
End of period 1
44:00 Sub On
George Hassall is substituted on for Marine
44:00 Sub Off
Daniel Mitchley is substituted off for Marine
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Marine
  • Warrington Town
  • 0
  • George Hassall Sub On 44:00'
  • Daniel Mitchley Sub Off 44:00'
  • James Edgar Sub On 54:00'
  • Scott Bakkor Sub Off 54:00'

Team selection

Barnes, Ben Barnes, Ben
Wylie, Peter Wylie, Peter
Grogan, Michael Grogan, Michael
Murray, James Murray, James
Hughes, Adam Hughes, Adam
Short, James Short, James
Brewster, Michael Brewster, Michael
Bailey, Vinny Bailey, Vinny
Mitchley, Daniel Mitchley, Daniel
Bakkor, Scott Bakkor, Scott
Smart, Billy Smart, Billy

League round up

Other The EVO-STIK Premier Division results

Mickleover Sports
Halesowen Town
Stalybridge Celtic
Nantwich Town
Rushall Olympic
Stafford Rangers
Hednesford Town
Whitby Town

League table

# Team Pl Pts
17. Lancaster City 46 55
18. Rushall Olympic 46 54
19. Marine 46 53
20. Coalville Town 46 52
21. Whitby Town 46 50
22. Stalybridge Celtic 46 48
23. Halesowen Town 46 45

Team sponsors


Club sponsors