Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marine Football Club app


First - Match centre

Full time
A Hughes (17'), J Murray (74'), D Mitchley (90')
Sat 16 Dec 15:00 - The FA Trophy 17-18 Attendance 708

Marine sparkle in win over Magpies

The Mariners come from behind to win 3-1 in pulsating cup encounter

Marine stole a brilliant 3-1 win against Chorley in the FA Trophy first round yesterday in freezing conditions away from home.

Both teams were coming into the match on form – Marine were unbeaten in five and Chorley without a loss in their last six games.

Marine had already dispatched with Whitby, Atherton Collieries and FC Utd of Manchester to reach this stage of the competition. Chorley had defeated Grantham in the previous round to setup what promised to be a hugely entertaining contest.

Within the first two minutes the Magpies had gone ahead. From the kick off Marine worked the ball forward and Danny Mitchley managed an effort on goal. The ball when down the other end and Chorley got the ball to Matty Hughes who blasted the ball into the net to put Chorley 1-0 up.

Marine had barely had time to take a breath as Chorley looked to build on their lead. Martin Fearon made an excellent save shortly after when a looping cross was headed at goal and he saved with his feet.

As the minutes ticked by Marine, backed by a hugely vocal band of supporters, started to find their feet and apply some pressure.

Florian Da Silva volleyed a chance wide then had a header tipped over the bar following a wonderful free kick from Vinny Bailey.

There was more great work down the left from Marine as they kept the ball in play following a corner and the ball was crossed into the box and Adam Hughes slammed the ball home from close range to make it 1-1. It was no more than Marine deserved.

The pendulum then swung in the other direction as Chorley had a couple of decent efforts with Hughes coming to the rescue at the other end with a goal-line clearance and Fearon making a great fingertip save to deny the Magpies.

Marine were still growing into the game with Vinny Bailey running like a man possessed whilst Billy Smart and Michael Brewster pulled the strings in the middle of the park.

Just after the half hour mark Danny Mitchley went on a mazy run but his final effort was blocked to keep things level.

As the half time whistle blew, it was clear the Marine fans sensed victory as our Twitter poll showed 60% agreed the Mariners could go on to win.

Peter Wylie came on for Hughes who had picked up a knock early in the second half.

The pivotal moment came on the hour with Smart going down after a lunge from Chorley’s Wilson who was subsequently sent off. Thankfully Smart recovered and played out the match.

As the second half went on the game became stretched and wide open with both teams gunning for the winner.

But it was Marine who stepped up and got the goal. James Murray, who has been in terrific form, smashed the ball at goal and it was deflected in causing wild celebrations from the Marine fans.

Chorley pumped balls forward but Marine repelled everything with Hughes and Baker putting in a real shift in defence and Dominic Reid came on for the final few minutes to shore things up in place of Da Silva.

As Chorley went in search of the equaliser, Marine took advantage of huge gaps in their defence with Bailey dragging a good chance wide when through on goal.

Then Mitchley struck to make it 3-1. The Mariners drove forward and after a great run Brewster played the ball to Mitchley who made no mistake and blasted the ball home from close range.

The final whistle blew and the Marine players and coaching staff went over to thank the fans for their vociferous support in very cold conditions.

It was a sublime performance from the team who have won 10 of their last 13 games in all competitions.

Watch our interview with Tommy Lawson

Marine now go into the draw for the second round of the FA Trophy, with the draw being made on Monday.

Next up for the Mariners is Barwell in the Evo Stik League on Saturday 23 December.

Marine: Martin Fearon, Kenny Strickland, James Short, Adam Hughes (Peter Wylie 57), Phil Baker, Billy Smart, James Murray, Michael Brewster (C), Danny Mitchley, Vinny Bailey, Florian Da Silva (Dominic Reid 85)

Subs not used: George Lomax, Liam Tongue, Michael Grogan

Chorley: Matt Urwin, Matt Challoner, Adam Blakeman, Andy Teague (C), Scott Leather, Josh O’Keefe, Nick Haughton, Josh Wilson, Marcus Carver, Jason Walker, Matty Hughes

Subs: Adam Roscoe, Steve Jordan, Ian Black, Paul Jarvis, Dale Whitham

Key moments

Goal Adam Hughes scores for Marine
Goal James Murray scores for Marine
Goal Daniel Mitchley scores for Marine


View 0 new events
90:00 Goal 0 - 3
Daniel Mitchley scores for Marine
86:00 Sub On
Dominic Reid is substituted on for Marine
86:00 Sub Off
Florian Da Silva is substituted off for Marine
74:00 Goal 0 - 2
James Murray scores for Marine
57:00 Sub On
Peter Wylie is substituted on for Marine
57:00 Sub Off
Kenneth Strickland is substituted off for Marine
End of period 1
17:00 Goal 0 - 1
Adam Hughes scores for Marine
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Chorley
  • Marine
  • 0
  • Adam Hughes Goal 17:00'
  • Peter Wylie Sub On 57:00'
  • Kenneth Strickland Sub Off 57:00'
  • James Murray Goal 74:00'
  • Dominic Reid Sub On 86:00'
  • Florian Da Silva Sub Off 86:00'
  • Daniel Mitchley Goal 90:00'

Team selection

Fearon, Martin Fearon, Martin
Strickland, Kenneth Strickland, Kenneth
Short, James Short, James
Smart, Billy Smart, Billy
Hughes, Adam Hughes, Adam
Baker, Phil Baker, Phil
Murray, James Murray, James
Brewster, Michael Brewster, Michael
Bailey, Vinny Bailey, Vinny
Mitchley, Daniel Mitchley, Daniel
Da Silva, Florian Da Silva, Florian

Team sponsors


Club sponsors