Marlborough was originally represented in the rugby world as early as 1867. The title in those days was the Marlborough Nomads. The Nomads originated at the local Public School, and the Club was a founder member of the English Rugby Union.
On January 26, 1871, 32 people represented 21 clubs at the Old Pall Mall Restaurant in London, and formed the English Rugby Union, whose headquarters is now at Twickenham. Marlborough Nomads were one of those founder clubs. The name Nomads came from the fact that they had no actual base and played most of their games in London. In 1911 Roslyn Park RFC invited the Old Boys of Marlborough to join them so the Marlborough Club went out of existence.
A small rugby club was established in the 1930s and played up to the start of the Second World War. Their base then was also the Sun Inn. They played on a field at the top of Savernake Hill and showered behind the Inn. The team then was mainly made up of masters and pupils of Marlborough College. The jerseys they wore were royal blue. In 1933-34 the team moved to play on the Common where it still hosts its matches today.
During 1966 the first match was played between the club and the Sundowners, the opposition being made up from the patrons of the Sun Inn. This match was designed to be a prelude to the 1967 season and sought to generate support for rugby in the town. Following the match a fund raising event of cheese and wine was held in the Town Hall.
The revived club beat the Sundowners by 3pts-nil, the victory resulting from a penalty goal in front of the posts after scrum-half Roger Swanton fed a crooked ball in the scrum.
The history of rugby at Marlborough has been a chequered one since the game was first played there in the 19th century, but with the re-forming in 1967 of an organised setup known officially as the Marlborough Rugby Union Football Club, the sport has been established on firm and permanent footing in the town.
The revived club was started as a result of the enthusiasm of Bill Bingham and Martin Trigg, who were determined to see rugby played again on the Common after the demise in 1938. The team was made up of ex-pupils and masters of the schools of Marlborough. There were also several ex-servicemen playing for the team in that first season.