Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marlow United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Marlow United
Wraysbury Village
Sat 22 Sep 14:00 - Thames Valley Premier League - Premier Division Full time

Flint double seals the points

Two superb strikes from Ollie Flint following his first full start of the season saw United seal a vital three points over rivals Wraysbury

Flint starting his first game off the season settled the destination of the three points with two second half strikes that will surely not be bettered all season, this after the hosts had dominated the proceedings only to be frustrated by the profligacy of their forwards and the brilliance of Wraysbury keeper Woakes.
The visitors settled quickly into the game enjoying the better of the opening exchanges but slowly the home team began to impose their game pushing back the hard working Wraysbury team.
A corner was won on five minutes, the ball running loose in the area before being cleared.
A run by Flint was halted by a foul, the free kick eventually finding Bushay who fired wide.
Hurst and Bushay were combining well causing havoc at times in the Wraysbury defence but still without opening their account.
United hit the post on 14 minutes after a Fox free kick came back off the wall, the ball eventually finding Hardie, his deflected shot hitting the far post before being cleared.
The pace was fast and furious with Wraysbury looking to counter and United had to be alert at the back to protect keeper Cannings who in truth was rarely threatened.
As has become the norm this season much of Marlow’s threat has come down the flanks with Gumbs and Fox posing a constant menace, especially the latter as he constantly used his power and pace to disconcert the Wraysbury defence.
It was a run from Gumbs on 21 minutes that opened up the Visitors defence, his cross from the bye line picking out Hurst 6 yards from goal, the forward somehow managing to miss the target with the goal at his mercy.
Bushay jinked his way past two defenders only to see Woakes dive to his left to save his effort as Marlow continued to be frustrated in front off goal.
With 34 minutes gone United’s Namyslak and Wraysburys Captain Cicero both challenged for a loose ball, Namyslak coming off worse being caught by the Wrasysbury player as they both stretched for the ball, the referee then surprised both sides by showing Cicero a straight red for dangerous play.
From the free kick Bushay saw his effort ruled out for offside after he reacted to Woakes losing the ball.
United upped the pressure as the half came to a close, the score though remaining goal less as the half finished.
HT 0-0
Marlow looked to take control of proceedings playing as they were against ten men but again they were wasteful in front of goal.
Hardie fired wide and Hurst fired over from a free kick as chances came and went.
Hurst was again the culprit on 53 minutes as he volleyed over from around 12 yards when unmarked in the area.
Namyslak , still suffering from the effects of the first half tackle, was replaced by Adam Parsons on 56 minutes as Wraysbury sensing United’s frustration enjoyed perhaps their best period of possession.
It was going to take either luck or inspiration to break the deadlock and it was the latter that arrived on 66 minutes with a surging run down the United left yet again by Joshua Fox taking the player close to the Wraysbury area from where Ollie Flint received the ball.
Flint cut across the pitch before firing an unstoppable shot past the startled defenders and keeper Woakes and into the net from 25 yards.
Wraysbury wasted a free kick almost immediately before United hit back with a corner won by Bushay.
Two minutes later the game was put to bed as Gumbs started a move down the right before picking out Fox his shot coming off a defender allowing Flint time to calmly picked his spot with an accurate volley from the edge of the area to double the Marlow lead.
The scorer was denied his hat trick a couple of minutes later, his back header from a Parsons cross
somehow being pushed over the bar by a fully stretched Woakes.
The frustrated Hurst was substituted by Wes Sutherland on 75 minutes as United looked to freshen up the forward line,
Flint and Hardie were then replaced ten minutes from time by Clarke and Edwards as Marlow attempted to
see out the game.
Wraysbury, taking advantage off the changes, almost snatched a consolation score at the death as slack marking saw
a free header skim the bar with Channings at full stretch.
All in all a comprehensive victory for United over challengers Wraysbury even taking into account playing against ten men for around the hour, the home team now needing to sharpen up in front of goal as they eye top spot in the league.
Channings, Gumbs, Mckie, Rockell, Britnell, Fox, Hardie (c) Flint, Namyslak, Hurst, Bushay
Parsons for Namyslak 56
Sutherland for Hurst 75
Clarke for Flint 80
Edwards for Hardie 80
Ollie Flint 66 and 73

A Channings 7
J Gumbs 8
A Mckie 8
D Rockell 8
R Britnell 7
J Fox 9
J Hardie 8
O Flint 9
J Namyslak 7
L Bushay 7
C Hurst 7

A Parsons 7
W Sutherland 7
C Clarke 7
W Edwards 7


Ollie Fint

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Woodley United Royals
Reading YMCA
Westwood United
Cookham Dean
Wokingham & Emmbrook TVPL
Richings Park
Woodcote Stoke Row


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Cookham Dean 13 29
2. Woodcote Stoke Row 13 27
3. Marlow United 11 26
4. Mortimer 14 26
5. Reading YMCA 10 23
6. Wraysbury Village 14 22
7. Westwood United 13 18

Team sponsors


Club sponsors