Wakefield hit for Six!

by Harry Hulmes

Mossley eased to a comfortable victory over crisis torn Wakefield at Seel park on Saturday with six different players getting on the score-sheet.

The game was pretty much over as a genuine contest after only eight minutes, by which time Mossley already held a two goal advantage against a Wakefield team that had been hurriedly rebuilt over the preceding few days.

Steve Halford was recalled to captain the team in the absence of the suspended Peter Band while Danny Queeley and Joe Heap came back in on the flanks and Lee Rick was recalled to midfield.
Mossley got off to a great start when Ben Richardson turned the ball home from Joe Heap’s left wing corner in the 5th minute.

Three minutes later Cavell Coo squirmed free in the box to fire home and put the Lilywhites firmly in control.
Fair play to Wakefield who had a real go at making a fist of it and Martin Pearson had to get down sharply to save Anthony Owens’ effort.

At the other end Mossley created a vast array of chances and half chances but ‘Bears’ debutant keeper Tom Taylor resisted extremely well with a number of excellent saves.

Osebi Abadaki and Nathan Neequaye were causing plenty of problems while the midfield four provided excellent support as did wingbacks Coo and Ingham.

Despite their dominance Mossley scored just one more goal before the break with Steve Halford firing home off the underside of the bar after Abadaki’s initial effort was blocked.

It wasn’t until the hour mark that Mossley finally got their fourth goal when Danny Queeley rifled home from ten yards after the ball had pinballed around the Wakefield box for several seconds.

The fifth and best goal of a productive afternoon was scored by wing back Tom Ingham in the 71st minute. Picking the ball up inside his own half the exciting young Mossley wing back went on a high speed mazy run that saw him then hit a superb shot past Taylor from over 20 yards out for a genuine ’goal of the season’ contender.

Wakefield almost scored a great goal of their own when right back Mile Smith hit a super shot from over thirty yards that cannoned back off the angle of post and bar.

The scoring was completed two minutes from time when ’man of the match’ Osebi Abadaki finally got the goal his earlier efforts deserved as broke clear on the right to fire a powerful shot from an awkward angle that keeper Taylor could only parry into his own net.

Abadaki hadn’t finished though and as the game entered stoppage time another weaving run was brought to an end by the late diving Taylor for a certain penalty. Taylor redeemed himself though as he guessed right to make a good diving save from Lee Rick’s spot kick and help his new club to limit the inflicted damage to just six goals.

Report by Wizard

Other First Division North Results

Radcliffe Borough 1 0 Prescot Cables Att. 99
Trafford 1 2 Ossett Albion Att. 139
Warrington Town 4 0 Garforth Town Att. 166
Skelmersdale United 1 3 AFC Fylde Att. 235
Lancaster City 3 2 Harrogate Railway Athletic Att. 179
Cammell Laird 3 2 Durham City Att. 62
Farsley FC 2 0 Clitheroe Att. 184
Mossley 6 0 Wakefield Att. 107

Team Sponsors