Unlucky Mossley As Title Chasers Edge It

by John Cawthorne

A less than full strength Mossley side were unlucky to go down by the only goal of the game to promotion chasing AFC Fylde who converted their only clear chance of the game.

Unlucky Mossley As Title Chasers Edge It

Mossley went into the game with several regular players missing from the starting line up. Keil O'Brien and Tom Denton were left on the bench as a precaution with Monday's Manchester FA Premier Cup Final in mind, Ben Richardson still wasn't quite ready to return, Danny Queeley was unavailable and Ben McNamara was sitting out a one match ban.

Both sides opened at a high tempo on a warm and bright afternoon and the action quickly flipped from one end to the other with both sides off target with early long range attempts. Fylde's on loan Fleetwood striker Richie Allen was causing Mossley problems on the right but his marker Cavell Coo stuck to his task with great credit throughout the game.

Mossley's defence was solid throughout and proved almost impenetrable to the quick and lively Fylde forwards who struggled to get a shot on goal and on the rare occasions that they did they found Martin Pearson once again in great form.

Going forward Mossley's loan central striker Kayde Coppin had one of his best games for the club with a tireless effort that caused Fylde plenty of problems with his jinking, darting runs and deft skills.

Mossley were very unlucky not to take the lead when Joe Heap curled a super shot from the left of the box that cannoned off the bar with Fylde keeper Zac Jones beaten.

A fine run and cross by Mark Haslam on the right saw Steve Yarwood dive to head inches wide of the left hand post and Mossley were denied a penalty when Cavell Coo was fouled as he burst into the box on the left but the Lilywhites meager reward was a corner.

The second half saw Fylde open strongly as they desperately tried to find a way past Mossley's dominant rearguard. At the other end attacking opportunities diminished slightly with the visitors the more desperate for a three point result. Mossley were always a threat on the break during this spell of the game though, with the Lilywhites often interchanging passes well through midfield.

The only goal of the game came out of the blue in the 74th minute. Fylde won a throw in on Mossley's left touchline. The dangerous Richie Allen peeled off to the far post and met McCarthy's cross with a looping header that gave Pearson no chance as it looped agonizingly out of his reach and dropped almost apologetically over the line.

The Lilywhites weren't out of it yet though and Mossley won a couple of corners as the home side now had player boss Halford on as a substitute in an attacking role. Fylde had survived a couple of goalmouth scrambles before Mossley had one final chance at a late equalizer.

The Lilywhites won a free kick just outside and to the left of the Fylde box. Lee Rick curled the ball in and substitute Jordan Cuff was within a whisker of grabbing what would have been a thoroughly deserved share of the points with the final whistle saving Fylde from any further pressure.

Report by Wizard

Other First Division North Results

Mossley 0 1 AFC Fylde Att. 210
Ossett Albion 1 3 Curzon Ashton Att. 118
Prescot Cables 4 1 Clitheroe Att. 165
Trafford 0 0 Farsley FC Att. 130
Lancaster City 1 0 Cammell Laird Att. 183
Harrogate Railway Athletic 0 4 Woodley Sports Att. 81
Witton Albion 4 1 Durham City Att. 338
Bamber Bridge 2 1 Warrington Town Att. 111
Ossett Town 0 6 Skelmersdale United Att. 88
Garforth Town 3 2 Salford City Att. 148
Radcliffe Borough 0 2 Wakefield Att. 124

Team Sponsors