Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Murrayfield Wanderers Football Club


1st XV - Match centre

Murrayfield Wanderers Football Club
Carrick RFC
Sat 22 Apr 17:45 - Cup Full time

Wandies second best in Shield final

A stunning second half performance handed Carrick back-to-back BT Shield titles as they beat Murrayfield Wanderers 41-21.

Murrayfield Wanderers 28 (21)
Tries: Hanlin 2, Johnston, Waker
Cons: Hastie 4

Carrick 41 (17)
Tries: Montgomery 2, Clark 2, McCulloch, Fulton
Cons: Johnson 4
Pens: Johnson

A stunning second half performance handed Carrick back-to-back BT Shield titles as they beat Murrayfield Wanderers 41-21.

Wandies had led 21-10 after 39 minutes after tries from Liam Hanlin and Callum Johnston, but the West Division runners-up scored 31 unanswered points from then on to romp to victory.

Greg Montgomery and Lewis Clark both bagged a brace for Carrick while Kyle Johnson was metronomical from the tee, kicking 11 points.

Peter Walker score a final minute consolation try.

Wandies enjoyed the rub of the green early on but were unable to turn pressure into points; Ieuan Webb's knock-on five metres out the final clumsy act of an encouraging and sustained build-up.

Five minutes later though, the Carrick defence could take no more and quick ball from scum-half Fraser Strachan was whipped through the hands of Murray Hastie to send Thomas bundling over the line. Hastie's conversion made it 7-0.

There were few further scoring opportunities during the next quarter of an hour for Wandies as Carrick got themselves into the match properly, keeping the ball and causing all manner of problems in the defence of the BT East Region Division1 champions.

Wandies' defence did hold firm and Carrick had to make do with a Kyle Johnson penalty.

The West-coast side would eventually pick up their first try courtesy of a calamitous fielding of Johnson's stab through. Patrick Cooney attempting to pick up the loose ball, kick it straight into the hands of Carrick full back Greg Montgomery who streaked in to score. Johnson's pin-point accurate conversion from the touchline moved them in front 10-7.

It was a first half where neither side seemed to be able to break free. Strachan, sensing space in behind the Carrick defence pinned them back in their own 22, forming the basis for their second try.

Carrick's throw was loose and was picked up by the on-rushing Callum Johnston. The back-rower then fended off Blair Jardine to surge over the line to score. Hastie converted and Wandies were back in the lead, 14-10.

They soon extended their lead through Hanlin's second of the day. Carrick, under the cosh found themselves down to 14-men as Iain Speirs saw yellow for repeated infringements five yards out.

Immediately Wandies went back on attack and a long-miss pass from Hastie opened the space for the outside centre's double approaching the half hour mark.

Carrick hit back on the brink of half-time after waves of persistent pressure. Several phases of forward play opened holes in the defence which made Lewis Clark's run-in under the posts relatively straight-forward. Johnson's simple conversion restricted Wandies' half-time lead to 21-17.

HT: Murrayfield Wanderers 21 – 17 Carrick

Aiming to protect their slender advantage, Wandies' second half got off to the worst possible start as Carrick turned the screw within the opening five minutes. Winger Ross McCulloch easily rouned Patrick Cooney to score in the corner to give Carrick the lead. John Fulton beautifully slotted the touchline conversion to add the extras.

Fulton was the hero shortly after as he latched onto a brilliantly floated pass from winger Benjamin Brown, whose burst up the far touchline split the Wandies defence – to sprint over for the third try.

Now it was up to Wandies to go in search of an allusive try that would bring them back to within touching distance of Carrick. Hastie prodded the home side deep inside the 22 and settled there for the next 10 minutes.

Carrick's defence was effective in pushing a Wandies driving maul into touch to prevent a certain try, but Wandies undid themselves by wasting a scrum penalty with a careless knock-on under little pressure.

Wandies' hopes of living with Carrick in the final quarter were firmly quashed by a piece of brilliance from Montgomery who sped over for the first of three quick-fire tries for Carrick.

Montgomery's second and another from Clark sealed the match, while Johnson's boot continued to put salt in the Wandies wound.

Wandies kept on fighting till the end and showed tremendous courage in going after a final try to close out the season. They eventually got as replacement Peter Walker sprinted down the near touchline to score a consolation try which Hastie converted.

The final scoreline of 41-28 was probably a fair reflection of where both sides are at, but Wandies can certainly content themselves with an encouraging season which has yielded a league title, Edinburgh Shield, and promotion as well as a Shield final in the national stadium.

Team selection

Beattie, Chris Beattie, Chris
Godsmark, Alex Godsmark, Alex
Hanlin, Liam Hanlin, Liam
Thomas, Liam Thomas, Liam
Cooney, Patrick Cooney, Patrick
Hastie, Murray Hastie, Murray
Strachan, Fraser Strachan, Fraser
Thom, Logan Thom, Logan
Johnston, Callum Johnston, Callum
Crawford, Stevo Crawford, Stevo
McFarlane, Adam McFarlane, Adam
Lee, John Lee, John
Navu, Saps Navu, Saps
Webb, Ieuan Webb, Ieuan
Lawman, Tom Lawman, Tom
Murrayfield Wanderers Football Club
Carrick RFC
  • 1. Graeme Dick
  • 2. Joe Connon
  • 3. Stephen Raby
  • 4. Iain Spiers
  • 5. David Brown
  • 6. Michael Kirk
  • 7. Gordon Gregor
  • 8. Blair Jardine
  • 9. Grant Ward
  • 10. Kyle Johnson
  • 11. Benjamin Brown
  • 12. Allan Spiers
  • 13. John Fulton
  • 14. Ross McCulloch
  • 15. Greg Montgomery
  • 16. Jonny Webster
  • 17. Andrew McColm
  • 18. David Andrew
  • 19. Stuart Bryden
  • 20. Sean Young
  • 21. Connor Wyllie
  • 22. Lewis Clark


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors