Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with MyFootballclub


MyFootballclub - Match centre

Slough Town
Folkestone Invicta
Sat 14 Oct 15:00 - Cup Full time Attendance 926

Match Report - Folkestone Invicta (Home, FA Cup 4Q)

An early strike puts Rebels through to the 1st Round Proper

1 - 0 (Harris, 4m)

Man of Match: George Wells

Slough Town deservedly progressed to the First Round of the FA Cup for the first time in five years with this narrow, but deserved win over Bostik Premier Folkestone Invicta at Arbour Park.
For joint managers Jon Underwood and Neil Baker it is the first time they have reached this stage of the competition, and the Rebels can now look ahead to Monday evening’s live televised First Round draw and dream of a tie against League One or League Two opposition.
The game was not as close as the score line suggests, as the Rebels had the better of the overall play and chances without being able to find a crucial second goal to kill the game off.
In the end, the winning goal was scored with virtually the first attack of the game. Warren Harris received a long pass from Nathan Smart out on the right and beat his man before sprinting clear and beating Tim Roberts on four minutes to provide the perfect start.
Slough went in search of a second and Harris had another crack at goal, but this time Roberts got down low to save. Minutes later, Manny Williams got his head to a cross from the left, but could only find the gloves of the keeper.
The Rebels went closer still on 24 minutes as Harris played a low ball across the face of goal, but James Dobson slid in and put the ball wide from close range.
Folkestone rarely threatened, though Jack Turner needed to be alert to deny Ade Yusuff after a defensive mishap.
Slough too often rushed their attacking play and failed to find the correct final ball in their search of the second goal, but remained well on top and could have gone in to the half time break further ahead but Chris Flood’s low cross evaded everyone after he got in behind the last man.
Lee Togwell and then Flood both fired shots at Roberts in the second half, with Gavin James replacing Williams, who had picked up a knock in the first half.
Turner had little to do in the Slough goal, but produced a super reaction save to turn over Sam Hasler's fierce free kick on 58 minutes.
The industrious Matt Lench, a creative spark for the home side all afternoon, headed just wide from a corner, whilst Dobson was well tackled after a poor defensive header almost put him clean through.
Folkestone were always in the game with just a single goal in it, but the visitors produced little of note except for a glancing header from Ade Yusuff which went just over the bar - and they were hampered with the dismissal of Kieron McCann for two yellow cards in as many minutes, the second of which coming for deliberate handball after he thought he had been fouled.
Slough’s attentions turned to seeing the game out in the corner, and brought on Brad Wadkins to provide the extra muscle for this, which they achieved with relative comfort despite the addition of five minutes stoppage time.

The teams:
Slough Town: Jack Turner, Josh Jackman, George Wells, Nathan Smart (yellow), Mark Nisbet, Lee Togwell, James Dobson (Sean Fraser), Matthew Lench, Manny Williams (Gavin James), Chris Flood (Brad Wadkins - yellow), Warren Harris

Folkestone Invicta: Tim Roberts, Jordan Wright (Ian Draycott 67), Nat Blanks, Michael Everitt, Callum Davies (c), Matt Newman, Sam Hasler, Scott Heard, Joe Taylor, Ade Yusuff, Kieron McCann. Unused substitutes: Nick Shaw, Euan Sahadow, Ethan Madden, Tom Walmsley.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments