Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official MyFootballclub app


MyFootballclub - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Slough Town
Sat 17 Nov 15:00 - The Vanarama National League - Vanarama National League South Full time Attendance 1,465

Match Report - Woking (Home - League)

A bumper attendance see Cards go top

0 - 1 (30m, Ben Gerring);

The Teams:
Slough Town: Jack Turner (GK), Josh Jackman, George Wells, Sam Togwell, Mark Nisbet (C), Lee Togwell (yellow/65m, Louie Soares), Simon Dunn (yellow), Scott Davies (72m, Shaun Fraser), Ben Harris (yellow/60m, Chris Flood), Matty Stevens, Warren Harris
Unused Subs: Guy Hollis, Manny Williams
note: Simon Dunn is making his 100th appearance for Rebels today

Woking: Craig Ross (GK), Nathan Collier (C), Josh Casey, Jack Cook, Ben Gerring, Charlie Hester-Cook (84m, Nicky Wheeler), Tobi Edser, Armani Little, Greg Luer, Max Kretzschmar, Paul Hodges (93m, Duane Ofori-Acheampong)
Unused Subs: Jake Hyde, Dan Spence, Sam Mason

STFC match report written by Will Tuck

The first meeting between Slough Town and Woking in over 20 years ended in disappointment for the Rebels as Ben Gerring’s first half header proved decisive in a narrow home defeat.
Both teams come into this match on the back of some inconsistent form, however both are still in the FA Cup, with Slough having an important replay in the week to try and join Woking in the Second Round.
Woking manager Alan Dowson, a former Slough player, recognised the importance of the three points, adding “we’ve got to concentrate on winning matches like we did today – I really thought the lads put their bodies on the line, which you’ve got to do at a place like this, so I’m really pleased”.
Rebels joint manager Jon Underwood was disappointed but noted there was little between the two sides.
“It’s fine margins against the top sides in this league and we learnt a lesson today.”
“We were much better in the second half and obviously did everything we could to score, and were a bit unlucky with the one that came off the bar”
In front of a bumper crowd of 1,465, which included a large travelling contingent from the Surrey club, the match got off to a tentative start with neither side wanting to give their opponents an inch.
The best chances came from set pieces, with Woking having their first chance to go in front on 20 minutes. Armani Little whipped a dangerous cross into the six yard box which Jack Cook got to first but couldn't guide his header on target.
This scare kick-started the Slough team, who responded immediately with Mathew Stevens charging up the pitch before seeing his shot go narrowly wide.
Moments later after battling down the right hand side, Josh Jackman found himself a little space but couldn’t control his shot as the ball bobbled awkwardly in front of him and saw his shot sail over the bar.
On 30 minutes Woking opened the scoring through another corner. Slough’s defence was unable to stop Gerring storming through the penalty area to meet Max Kretzschmar’s delivery, and he headed in from close range with Jack Turner only able to get fingertips to the ball but not push it out of harm’s way.
The goal didn't open up the match and chances were still at a premium, but Slough had a great chance as Kretzschmar committed a foul 25 yards out, conceding a free kick. George Wells stepped up for Slough but saw his shot go narrowly over.
The last chance of the half came to Slough with Stevens first to a corner, but he saw his header cleared off the line.
In the second half, much of Slough’s play came though Wells on the left side. In fact, he was the first to threaten Craig Ross’ goal as he struck a half volley sweetly, but saw the ball curl wide of the goal.
Wells was again involved a few minutes later as his low cross had the Woking defence worried but no Slough players had gambled, and the ball flew past them.
Slough made two changes, bringing off Lee Togwell and Ben Harris, both of whom had been cautioned, replaced by Chris Flood and Louie Soares.
The hosts started to play more crosses into the box, but again either the Slough strikers failed to take a chance, or the Woking defence – with Cook and Gerring superb throughout – got important touches to clear the danger.
Slough very nearly claimed an equaliser midway through the second half when a speculative cross from Wells was headed back towards his own goal by Cook, but with his own goalkeeper Ross beaten, the defender was able to breathe as the ball bounced off the bar and after a scramble Woking cleared their lines. This was the first time Ross was really called upon to make a save for the Cardinals.
With the clock counting down and Woking managing the game well, Slough grew frustrated at their lack of chances with Simon Dunn also finding his name in the referee’s notebook on his 100th Rebels appearance.
Woking held on to move two points clear at the top of the National League South table.

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

League table

# Team Pl Pts
8. Dartford 26 42
9. St Albans City 27 41
10. Slough Town 26 39
11. Wealdstone 26 38
12. Chippenham Town 27 38
13. Oxford City 26 37
14. Eastbourne Borough 27 34