Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Nenagh Ormond RFC


Club Notes 13/3/2017

1 year ago By Colleen Mccullough

Catch up on all the news from NORFC!!!

Pictured: Nenagh Ormond Seconds celebrating booking their place in the Munster Junior Plate final with team mascot Frank. Back row: Brian Williams, Anthony Grey, Mark Armitage, Aidan Doyle, Tom McNamara, Andrew Hodgins, Harry Young, Darragh Hassey, Michael Slattery, Danny White. Middle row: Michael Walsh, Bruce Hayes, Marek Gribs, Gavan Hayes, Ben Armitage, David Mackey. Front row: Niall O’ Gorman and Frank

U10 Report

We were invited to the impressive Lees Road facility in Ennis on Sunday last to play a Blitz against the hosts and fellow guests Thomond and Scariff. A total of 28 Nenagh players plus a large contingent of parents and siblings travelled.
Conditions were perfect for Rugby and both Nenagh teams played excellently throughout.
A feature was our efficient tackling and cleaning out at ruck time. We have placed a lot of emphasis on these points during training and the hard work is starting to pay off during matches. The players are being encouraged to play more “heads-up” Rugby – transferring the ball away from contact and into space by sharp passing. The players have improved considerably in this aspect since the start of the season.
Well done to all the players and thanks to all the parents who travelled to Ennis to support the lads.

U12 Report

Training resumed in Lisatunney last Sunday morning, having had a number of games over the last few weeks. 22 players turned up and under the watchful eyes of the coaches - we had a lively, informative and intense session.

We are focusing on tackling and ball presentation and there are very encouraging signs of improvement, none more so then the powerful Mikey Morgan who continues to lead the way in the tackling stakes, and is surely one of the most improved players all season.
As the season nears an end, we are delighted to report that our U12 panel has maintained great numbers both at training and for matches. Team spirit is high, and we are in really good shape. We are already looking forward to next season and the challenges 15 aside rugby will bring. This is a really tightly knit group of players and we hope this continues over the course of the next few years.
Next Sunday, all going well, we are climbing the Devils Bit for a picnic and a bit of R+ R!!!
We congratulate our head coach Fergal and the senior XV on a great win in Belfast yesterday and wish them the very best of luck as they enter a really critical stage of the season, with promotion to Division 1B very much a possibility.

Thanks again to all our coaches and to the parents who continue to support us.

U16’s Nenagh 26 – 10 Garryowen

Nenagh Ormond under 16s made it through to the Munster Plate semi-finals with a comprehensive win over Garryowen in a rescheduled fixture last Sunday. Playing with a stiff breeze in the first half, Nenagh went on the attack from the off but within five minutes found themselves a try down when Garryowen centre Joe McEvoy picked up a loose ball and raced 60 meters for an opportunist score under the posts. Undeterred by this early setback, Nenagh went on the attack once again and were level on 10 minutes when centre Conor McMahon darted in for a well taken score which he converted himself to give his side a 7-5 lead. After that, Nenagh seemed to take their foot off the pedal and Garryowen’s best spell of the game followed, culminating in a second unconverted try in the corner for a 10-7 lead approaching half time. Utilising the strong breeze, Oisin Larkin kicked well into Garryowen territory and from the resulting lineout won a scrum 10 meters out from which Jack O'Keefe barged over to give his side a slender 14-10 half-time lead.

Turning into the breeze, Nenagh needed to improve their play if they were to come out on top and they did just that. The second half was all Nenagh as they retained the ball for long periods and mixed their play well including some excellent driving maul work from the pack and with Jack O’Keefe and the excellent Dylan Murphy carrying well. The home side’s third try was not long in coming as Patrick Finn touched down following another impressive driving maul close to the line. Garryowen tried to use the breeze to gain territory but the Nenagh back three of Dylan knight , Ben Chadwick and the impressive Oisin Larkin dealt with everything sent their way, repeatedly turning defence into attack. With the clock running down, there was only going to be one winner and it came as no surprise when Oisin Larkin finished off a multi-phase play for a well deserved fourth try, converted by captain Kian O’Kelly. The final score of 26-10 did not flatter the home side, who’s prize for this win is a semi-final tie versus the unbeaten Cork Constitution next weekend.

Team: Cathal Cooney, Patrick Whelan, Eoghan Slevin, Ruan O’Hanluain, Patrick Finn, Dylan Murphy, Jack O’Keefe, Jason Quigley, Peter Rainsford, Eoin Farrell, Conor McMahon, Kian O’Kelly, Dylan Knight, Oisin Larkin, Ben Chadwick, Luke Connolly, Mikey Courtney-Bowler , James Ferris, Kevin Harding, Conor Malone, Ronan McNamara.

U15’s Buccaneers 12 – 5 Nenagh

After a six week lay-off due to the recent inclement weather our 15s travelled to Athlone on Sunday to take on Buccaneers in Dubarry Park. From the kick-off the home side were quick to seize the initiative and pinned us back between our twenty-two and the ten metre line for the first five minutes, but our defensive line held firm. Once we finally managed to get our hands on the ball we gradually gained the upper hand and began to dominate the forward exchanges where our back row of captain Cathal Ryan (who literally led by example), Jack Keyes and James Meagher were dominant throughout the game. The tight five were also in the thick of the action and Daniel Quigley got through a huge amount of work as did Sean Richardson who had his best game this year. The half-backs of Eoin O’Meara and David Grace were controlling the game much better than their opposite numbers and were giving us the edge which allowed our backs to keep piling the pressure on the Buccaneers defence.
As Nenagh camped inside the Buccaneers half in search of the elusive breakthrough, with wave after wave of impressive attacking offloading rugby play was abruptly brought to a halt for an injury which meant a reshuffle in our backline where Aaron Sharkey came in off the wing to play a stormer at centre (for the first time) beside Shane Whelan who had already caught the eye on a number of occasions.
After twenty five scoreless minutes of a ding-dong battle, Buccaneers scored from a clean line break against the run of play. Despite this setback, we were back on the attack immediately after the restart and the reply was swift and sharp. After great work once again from the forwards who brought play just short of the ten metre line, quick ball was delivered out wide where full back Hugh Guest joined the line to help create the opening for winger Anthony O’Donovan to dive over in the corner for his first try of the season and round off an excellent team effort. Buccaneers led 7-5 at half time. They extended their lead in the second half with another try, although we continued to play very good rugby. A feature of our play – along with excellent work at the breakdown where we dominated the rucks – was that we also made huge yards from several barnstorming runs where excellent support play saw several successful offloads out of contact. With minutes left on the clock, James Meagher was millimetres away from taking an offload from Cathal Ryan about five metres out that would surely have given Nenagh a more than deserved share of the spoils. All in all a very positive performance despite the absence of some players through injury and illness. Thanks to all the parents who made the long journey to support the boys and also to Buccaneers for the sporting match and for their hospitality afterwards.

Team: Jack Deane, Cathal Delaney, Daniel Gleeson, Luke Gleeson, David Grace, Hugh Guest, Jack Keays, Daniel Madden, James Meagher, Ruairi Moylan, Eoin O’Meara, Anthony O’Donovan, Sean Richardson, Cathal Ryan, Aaron Sharkey, Shane Whelan, Jack White, Danny Wilkinson.

U18’s Pan Munster Plate Quarter Final Nenagh 21 – 10 Fethard

Nenagh Ormond under 18 squad qualified for the semi-final of the Pan Munster Plate competition in glorious conditions in the 4G pitch at University of Limerick, after eventually coming out on top against a very competitive Fethard outfit, who can be proud of their performance in a cracking match.

Nenagh started brightly, playing with the strong wind and were ahead after 3 minutes when Fethard were adjudged to be offside at the breakdown and Conor O’Brien kicked the penalty from in front of the posts to put Nenagh 3 points up. After 19 minutes Nenagh doubled their advantage when Conor O’Brien was tackled late after kicking the ball through. O’Brien made no mistake from the penalty to double Nenagh’s advantage.
From there things didn’t go according to plan. Straight from the kick off, Fethard gathered the ball and spread the ball out well. Talented out-half Darragh Lynch kicked the ball through and won the race for the touchdown to reduce the deficit to 6-5. His conversion against a very strong breeze drifted wide. Five minutes later Fethard scored again. A Nenagh attack in the Fethard 22 was turned over by the impressive Fethard Number 8, Ross McCormack. The ball was spread wide and centre Joe Collins raced clear to score a fine individual try from inside his own half. Once again Darragh Lynch was unlucky with the conversion.

The remainder of the first half was a tough forwards battle with Nenagh using the wind to gain territory. Hhowever vital handling errors and an inability to cope with the Fethard back-row at the breakdown, resulted in no further scores in the first half. Fethard turned around much the happier, leading 10-6 after playing against a very strong wind.

Playing against the wind in the second half, Nenagh relied more on forward power and had regained the lead after seven minutes. With the forwards setting up a good platform inside the Fethard half, Conor O’Brien kicked a delightful low cross-field kick which Fiachra Carey gathered and beat one player to score in the corner, to restore Nenagh’s lead 11 points to 10. Conor O’Brien was unlucky with the conversion.

The key moment of the match came after 15 minutes of the second half. An attempted clearance from Nenagh out-half Daniel Molamphy was charged down and the ball was kicked through by Fethard winger Jack Kealy. He won the race for the touchdown but was adjudged to have knocked on the ball as he touched it down, much to the relief of the Nenagh lads.

The advantage of a full panel showed for Nenagh and as the changes were rung, the fresh legs of the Nenagh team began to take control. Another offside at the breakdown inside the Fethard 22 after 21 minutes led to another penalty and Conor O’Brien kicked superbly against the strong wind to put Nenagh 14-10 up.

Nenagh finally got the decisive score after 27 minutes when Evan Murphy forced a turnover inside the Fethard 22, and as the ball was spread out, Stephen Harding was on hand to touch down. Once again Conor O’Brien kicked superbly against the strong wind to add the two points to put Nenagh 21-10 ahead entering the last few minutes. Nenagh withheld the remaining Fethard pressure for the last few minutes and saw out the game on a final score 21-10.

Essentially the difference between the two teams was the strength in depth. Nenagh had 29 players to choose from at the start of the match. While not all can be used in each match, the importance of each squad member cannot be over-emphasised and the coaches and management recognise the commitment of each squad member. Next weekend sees the semi-final of the Pan Munster Plate competition, when Nenagh take on local rivals Thurles for bragging rights and a place in the final.

Team: 15. Conor O’Brien, 14. Fiachra Carey, 13. Scott Harvey, 12. Michael Grace, 11. Colum Moylan, 10. Daniel Molamphy, 9. Shane Mitchell Steed, 8. Evan Murphy, 7. Jake O’Kelly (capt), 6. Tommy Wells, 5. Shane Flynn, 4. Stephen Harding, 3. Alex Hayes, 2. Jack Lynch, 1. Jonathon Cope. Subs John Spillane, Peter Ryan, Orrin Moore, Cathal Ryan, Jack Dunne, Ben Duff, Felim Tuite, Conor O’Sullivan, Martin Rainsford, Michael Kennedy, Patrick Ryan, Aaron White, Seamus O’Meara

Seconds – Munster Junior Plate: Nenagh Ormond 11 - 0 Castleisland

Nenagh Ormond overcame a strong Castleisland side on Sunday in the Muster Plate semi- final. The visitors started brightly and Nenagh had to withstand some early pressure. Good defensive work by Grey, Hodgins and Williams kept them at bay. Nenagh worked their way into the game and some strong carries by O Gorman, Hassey and Armitage got Nenagh into some good field positions. The pressure told and after a breakdown infringement Walsh Kicked Nenagh into a deserved 3 – 0 lead after 20 minutes. The lead was doubled 10 minutes before the break when Walsh struck a fine penalty from just inside the visitors half to make it 6 – 0 to Nenagh at half time. Nenagh faced a stiff breeze in the second half and one wondered would the 6 point advantage be enough. Right from the resumption Nenagh went straight back at Castleisland. At this stage the front row of Doyle , McNamara and Hayes were scrummaging well and earned some much needed territory earning 2 consecutive penalties. Walsh was unlucky with 2 well struck penalties into the breeze . After 60 minutes the rampaging Niall O Gorman took a clever pass from scrum half David Mackey on the Castleisland 22 – O Gorman shrugged off 3 defenders to power over for a great score. 11 – 0 Nenagh. The visitor’s threw everything at Nenagh for the remainder of the game but Nenagh held out for a good win. The half backs of Mackey and Walsh controlled to game well and the back 3 of Gribbs , Young and Hayes put in a strong defensive shift. On the day the stand out performers were Niall O Gorman and the hard working Andrew Hodgins.
Nenagh are now back in the Munster Junior Plate final, we await the results of the other semi-final between Mallow and Thurles to find out who we will face in the final. Thurles who have home advantage will go into this game with huge confidence buoyed on by their comprehensive 51 – 0 win over Presentation while Mallow will be savoring their narrowest of margins after their 9 - 8 defeat of Charleville.
There is a great opportunity here for silverware for this squad. All players are encouraged to continue to train on a Tuesday and Thursday at 7.30 in Lisatunny.

Team: Aidan Doyle, Tom McNamara, Gavin Hayes, Niall O’ Gorman, Ben Armitage, Brian Williams, Andrew Hodgins, Anthony Grey, David Mackey, Michael Walsh, Marek Gribs, Michael Slattery, Darragh Hassey, Harry Young, , Bruce Hayes. Subs: Jonathon Hayes, Danny White, Mark Armitage

Seniors – AIL Division 2A: Queens University 17 - 23 Nenagh Ormond

On Saturday Nenagh made the long trip North to play Queens University. This AIL game was 3rd place playing 5th and with only 3 points between the teams it was always going to be close.
It was the home side who got off to the better start but with 5 minutes on the clock Nenagh were awarded a penalty on their own 22. Clayton Stewart kicked to touch however Nenagh lost the line out, after a few phases they regained the ball but a pass out wide was intercepted and Queens touched down under the posts. Milligan kicked the conversion and it was 7-0.
This gave the home side a sense of belief and for the next while they looked dangerous. Nenagh stood strong though and at scrum time looked far too powerful for the students. Nenagh were awarded a penalty in the 18th minute and after a great scrum, a ‘kick to the corner’ was the call. Nenagh gathered the ball but could not break the Queens line. Nenagh got a penalty on 20 minutes and Clayton Stewart put it over to bring the score to 7-3.
After 25 minutes scrum half Eoin Gardiner was adjudged to have played the ball on the ground and was yellow carded, Milligan slotted it over to make it 10-3. Thankfully there was no score during the sin bin and it remained 10-3 to the end of the first half.
Nenagh started the second half with vengeance and at the drop off O'Flaherty gathered a high ball, made great ground and after a few phases were on the Queens line. The ball went out to Stewart who made good ground, skipped a pass to O'Leary who touched it down. The conversion was good making the score 10-10.
Nenagh suffered another Sin bin when Willie Coffey chased a kick through and went for the ball making contact with the full back. On the 50th minute Queens once again showed their class and were on the Nenagh 10 meter line. A ball went to the centre, Bell, who found a gap and went straight through the Nenagh defence to touch down. The conversion made it 17-10.
Another Penalty to Nenagh pulled them back to 17-13. Nenagh were now putting Queens under pressure and were awarded a penalty under the posts. A scrum was called and after 2 penalties to Nenagh the referee had no option only to award a penalty try. After 83 minutes Stewart slotted another 3 points and it finished 17 - 23.
A lot to work on next week, while our scrum dominated all day, our line out did not seem to function to its usual standard and we will need to improve considerably for the games ahead.
With 4 games to go, 3 at home and the away game a mouthwatering Friday night trip to Cashel, you feel it's now in our on control.
Team: Fergal Brislane, Conor Muldoon, John Hayes, Kevin Seymour, Kevin O’ Flaherty, Lemaki Viapulu, Eoin Gardiner, Clayton Stewart, Eathon Moloney, Willie O’ Connor, Derek Corcoran, Willie Coffey, Peter O’ Leary. Subs: Michael Slattery, John Coffey, Kevin O’ Gorman, Darragh Hassey, Killian Gleeson.

St. Patrick’s Day Parade

Our under 7’s, 8’s, 9’s and 10’s teams will be taking part in the Parade on Friday. Players to wear their NORFC jerseys.
Please assemble in Sean McCullough’s QuickFit, Ormond St. at 1.30pm. Players can be collected by their parents at the Railway station after the Parade.

Underage Girls Rugby

Underage Girls Rugby training is now taking place each Saturday morning in New Ormond Park at 10.30am. We welcome all girls between the ages of 11 - 15years. Whether you’ve played before or just want to come out and try it for the first time, all are welcome. Come along and give it a go!

Updated 14:09 - 13 Mar 2017 by Colleen Mccullough

Where next?

Club Notes 27/03/2017 Catch up on all the news from Nenagh Ormond!!!
Club Notes 27/02/2017 Catch up on all the news and action from NORFC!!!

Sat 14 Apr
Nenagh Ormond Senior Team Malone
League 43 – 19
Sat 7 Apr
Nenagh Ormond Senior Team Queens University
League 30 – 35

News sponsor

Club sponsors