Newtown Rugby Club was originally formed in 1925 and we are proud of our status of one of the leading sides in Mid Wales. The first match was played on 28th March 1925 vs Oswestry. Following disbandment, the club was reformed in 1971 at a meeting with 50 founder members present. The first match following this meeting was vs derby rivals Welshpool on 6th November 1971, with Newtown losing the game 31-9.
On 1st September 1992, the club commenced its Welsh Rugby Union membership probationary period with full membership status being attained in 1995.